Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 19
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1311 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: wasting my power

EvoDude i am called marysduby-My wife called me duby therefor i am marysduby for your information i am a 63 yearold male. At one time i had 45 employees and if you ever worked people you would know that you dont need equiptment problems to slow down progress and i have worked many Christmases and Thanksgivings so i expect no more from anyone else than i would myself. The last year i worked every day and then went home to take care of my wife that had cancer so she wouldnt have to go into a nursing home.I kept her with me and was holding her hand when she passed God Bless her.
[Dec 27, 2006 11:06:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks marysduby and sorry for the mis-assumption over your handle. My point still remains though. If, like myself in the electricity generation game, you have worked through public holidays, you should understand what a real pain it is to have to do it, but let's keep this in perspective. It's not as if we are likely to suffer long term harm if the server is down for a couple of days. Was there actually a desperate need for people to have to miss the traditional family time to resolve the problem here?

IMHO I would say no. We all crunch in the hope we will be responsible for some major cure being discovered but the truth is it will probably come through a combination of findings from numerous results. Losing a couple of days through equipment failure isn't likely to affect the end result very much. I just think we should keep the anger and verbal abuse for something more important.

Can I extend the season's greetings to all at WCG and I hope you all had as much time as possible with your families. I know I did.
[Dec 27, 2006 11:28:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks marysduby and sorry for the mis-assumption over your handle. My point still remains though. If, like myself in the electricity generation game, you have worked through public holidays, you should understand what a real pain it is to have to do it, but let's keep this in perspective. It's not as if we are likely to suffer long term harm if the server is down for a couple of days. Was there actually a desperate need for people to have to miss the traditional family time to resolve the problem here?

IMHO I would say no. We all crunch in the hope we will be responsible for some major cure being discovered but the truth is it will probably come through a combination of findings from numerous results. Losing a couple of days through equipment failure isn't likely to affect the end result very much. I just think we should keep the anger and verbal abuse for something more important.

Can I extend the season's greetings to all at WCG and I hope you all had as much time as possible with your families. I know I did.
Wellits no big thing i was just having a bad day and wanted to stir the pot a little
[Dec 27, 2006 11:48:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

.... i was just having a bad day ...

I believe that most if not all here are very level headed and just want to do good for everyone. Welcome to the bad day group and ......
Welcome back to the Good Times crowd.
Happy New Year to you and
to the WCG and all the wonderfull people who take their time to help others.

Health, Love, PEACE and GOODWILL
PaulT
[Dec 31, 2006 6:43:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Movieman
Veteran Cruncher

Wellits no big thing i was just having a bad day and wanted to stir the pot a little

I understand your frustration and maybe some thoughts to help you deal with issues like this:
When we over at XS saw that this was going to be an extended outage we put our machines on other projects for a few days to help those teams. There are some other excellent projects that exist. Folding at home, Sengent Labs D2OL are 2 examples.
I used to let it bother me when a project went down. Now I tell myself that the people in charge are probably 100 times more upset over it than I am and busting their butts to get it fixed. They don't need to hear me comment on it with all they have to do.
Make a downtime a positive thing. Some time when your bored, install another app and just don't start it..Then your ready when an issue does come up.
I was sorry to hear about your wife.My condolences to you.
I hope 2007 can be a better year for you.
----------------------------------------

[Dec 31, 2006 11:00:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I understand your frustration and maybe some thoughts to help you deal with issues like this:
When we over at XS saw that this was going to be an extended outage we put our machines on other projects for a few days to help those teams. There are some other excellent projects that exist. Folding at home, Sengent Labs D2OL are 2 examples.
I used to let it bother me when a project went down. Now I tell myself that the people in charge are probably 100 times more upset over it than I am and busting their butts to get it fixed. They don't need to hear me comment on it with all they have to do.
Make a downtime a positive thing. Some time when your bored, install another app and just don't start it..Then your ready when an issue does come up.
I was sorry to hear about your wife.My condolences to you.
I hope 2007 can be a better year for you. Thank you so much Movieman there are so many thoughful people in this world
[Jan 12, 2007 4:23:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Robert Kinkead
Cruncher

Hello marysduby, I can understand your frustration. I started crunching seven years ago (SETI@HOME) and until BOINC if SETI went down I was unable to do any work, unless I had received several WUs in advance. This was back in the days of 486DX2 Dinosaurs. Now I am running six projects so if one of them goes down, I am still able to work.

I want to give you my condolences, I know some of what you went through, I lost my father 25 years ago to cancer. sad Well anyway Happy New year to you and everyone out there. smile
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Robert Kinkead at Jan 17, 2007 3:21:47 AM]
[Jan 17, 2007 3:20:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
boulmontjj
Senior Cruncher
France
Project Badges:

Like we say in french, if my aunt would have testicles, we would call her my uncle. laughing

But with so many possible 'if', nothing can be perfect every time.
And if every thing was perfect, we wouldn't be crunching to find cures again so many illness.

*Edited for profanity - Uplinger

To Uplinger, for my personnal knowledge, what was profanity in my post ? sad
I know my english is not perfect and may be i made some mistake when i wanted to say some thing but nether profanity.
I just try to use the english i learned at school. blushing
Like me, teachers are not perfect. wink

Rejoignez nous et visitez le site de l'équipe France ici http://www.grid-france.fr
[Edit 2 times, last edit by boulmontjj at Jan 20, 2007 3:55:24 PM]
[Jan 20, 2007 3:53:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Why the ******? The UD servers are still running. One of my computers is crunching with UD.EXE

I find this post mildly-amusing, considering grid.org is now a bankrupted project & dead. WCG is still here.
[May 4, 2007 8:04:06 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread