Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 20
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 657 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
OTHER PROGRAMS RUN MUCH SLOWER

Since installing WCG, my programs have run really slowly. When logging in to a different user on the same laptop (whose programs are still there from earlier), it takes ages for the programs to display. I have a black screen for so long that I sit here bored.

My PC's on 24/7. My Windows Power Options are set up so the monitor & hard disk turn off after 10mins of non-use, while the standby setting says Never.

1. I'd like to continue using WCG, but only if my laptop's performance isn't noticeably affected when in use. Is there maybe a way to set things up so WCG only runs when I've been away from my laptop for 10mins, and stops on my return? And, also, so it only runs when the laptop's on mains power? On your Help page, I read

"If you have the proper device drivers installed for power management on your laptop, the agent should automatically stop when you go to battery power."

But that's only helpful if you say what the proper device drivers are, and how you tell.

2. In Device Profiles, what's the difference between Execution Time & Connection Time? It would be helpful to have explanations alongside things.

If you want to set it to run at night, it looks as though you can't do that, unless it starts at midnight; you can only set a start & finish once per day.

Thank you for your help.
[Dec 26, 2006 5:15:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: OTHER PROGRAMS RUN MUCH SLOWER

There's some confusion here. The standard installation of the UD WCG program only runs as the user it was installed as. So, when you log in as a different user, it shouldn't run. I suspect the problem you are seeing has nothing to do with WCG, but a lot to do with all the other programs that the other user installed. Perhaps you could explain the problem in more detail?

Any properly working modern laptop will have the power features needed to detect when it's running on batteries. Don't worry about that.

Execution time is when the program is running, using your CPU and memory.

Connection time is when the program is uploading results and downloading new work. This uses your Internet connection.
[Dec 26, 2006 5:26:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Tastylicious,
You had better give us complete information about your laptop. What you are reporting is not normal. See http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=10421#81365 for an example of a laptop with abnormal problems.

Does Task Manager show any other processes using much CPU time?

If you look at the 'Useful Utilities' thread at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=2490, Belarc Advisor ( http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html ) shows you a lot of information about your system in a useful format.

Lawrence
[Dec 26, 2006 8:05:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

i think the poster can also just run the tasks as a 'screensaver', yes?

that way it would only run when the poster is away.
[Dec 26, 2006 9:26:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

FROM THE ORIGINAL POSTER
There's some confusion here. The standard installation of the UD WCG program only runs as the user it was installed as. So, when you log in as a different user, it shouldn't run. I suspect the problem you are seeing has nothing to do with WCG, but a lot to do with all the other programs that the other user installed. Perhaps you could explain the problem in more detail?

Any properly working modern laptop will have the power features needed to detect when it's running on batteries. Don't worry about that.

Execution time is when the program is running, using your CPU and memory.

Connection time is when the program is uploading results and downloading new work. This uses your Internet connection.

When 2 users are logged in, both their programs continue to run, don't they? If I'm logged in as User 1, User 2's email program continues to check for emails. I know because User 1 hears the sound of User 2's emails being received (but there's no icon in the system tray).

I have hard drive 40GB, memory 512MB, processor Pentium M 1400MHz, WinXP. I don't have the problem at this moment. It was occuring when I had a lot of programs running, but surely my PC should be able to cope with that? I usually have a lot of programs running, and didn't have this problem prior to having WCG.

So WCG will automatically stop when it goes to battery power?

I assume, then, that it's not possible to set the execution time for through the night, as each day in Device Profiles would have to have 2 sets of From and To?

Thank you for your help.
[Dec 27, 2006 7:07:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Oh, you're using Fast User Switching. The simple solution is to switch Fast User Switching off.
[Dec 27, 2006 7:12:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

When 2 users are logged in, both their programs continue to run, don't they? If I'm logged in as User 1, User 2's email program continues to check for emails. I know because User 1 hears the sound of User 2's emails being received (but there's no icon in the system tray).

It does get confusing, doesn't it. In the case of the email program, there is a backend program being run by the system. In general, if only one user is logged in, then only that user's programs will run - - plus any programs run by the system. It is possible to run the UD client as a service, but it is difficult to set up. The BOINC install program allows you to set it up as a service very easily. The UD client automatically stops running when you go on battery power. The BOINC client stops, by default, but gives you the option to run on battery power (which I would NOT do, since it will quickly drain your battery).

There are many possibilities, but without more information I will simply suggest that you try running only small projects (currently Genome Comparison and Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy). If that makes no difference, then I would instead suspect heat problems and suggest you use canned air to blow dust away from fans and filters.

Running the UD client in screen saver mode (which requires the WCG screen saver), as halfcard suggests, is also a possibility.

Lawrence
[Dec 27, 2006 7:28:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

FROM THE ORIGINAL POSTER
Hello Tastylicious,
You had better give us complete information about your laptop. What you are reporting is not normal. See http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=10421#81365 for an example of a laptop with abnormal problems.

Does Task Manager show any other processes using much CPU time?

If you look at the 'Useful Utilities' thread at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=2490, Belarc Advisor ( http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html ) shows you a lot of information about your system in a useful format.

Lawrence

I have hard drive 40GB, memory 512MB, processor Pentium M 1400MHz, WinXP. I'm not exactly technically-minded, so if you need any other information, please let me know exactly what, and where I can find it.

When the problem arises again, I'll note exactly what's happening so I can be more specific. I don't have a particular problem with Word.

The only other process CURRENTLY using a CPU time of >3 is System Idle Process at ~41. When the problem arises again, I'll check Task Manager again.

I've saved the Useful Utilities thread. It's good to see this forum's used by such helpful people, and is structured so much better than other sites' forums. The only hot part of my laptop is that which is labelled in the user guide as 'mini-PCI slot'. What does mini-PCI translate as? Should I be concerned by its temperature?

Thank you for your help.
[Dec 27, 2006 7:28:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello Tastylicious,
The only other process CURRENTLY using a CPU time of >3 is System Idle Process at ~41.

The UD client is running the WCG application throttled down to 60%, leaving about 40% of the CPU Time idle. This is supposed to keep heat lower than if it ran at 100%. The throttle can be changed, as explained at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread?thread=2683#61655

It sounds as though there is a problem with memory. Running small programs should alleviate that problem. I wonder if there is some setting that is storing and retrieving sessions when you change users? [Added: Didactylos has spotted it - Fast User Switching. I expect that is the reason for the slowdown. It is trying to keep each session alive, which takes a lot of memory.] Could you tell us the brand of your laptop and the model number? Also, the size allocated to your virtual memory.

Task Manager shows Commit Charge at the bottom, showing how much VM is being used. View - Select Options allows you to view a lot of information in the Processes Tab, most of which is rarely important.

Lawrence
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Dec 27, 2006 8:07:41 PM]
[Dec 27, 2006 8:04:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

FROM THE ORIGINAL POSTER
i think the poster can also just run the tasks as a 'screensaver', yes?

that way it would only run when the poster is away.

Thanks - I'll do this if it's impossible to run WCG all the time without it affecting the performance of other software.
[Dec 27, 2006 8:47:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread