Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6595
Posts: 6595   Pages: 660   [ Previous Page | 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 842267 times and has 6594 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Base Camp.......The team that isn't

Yes!
And I'll do it repeatedly.
You should report at

Hungary
[Jan 11, 2018 8:58:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

And, of course, adriverhoef, I remember I heard about the
Danish lymph drainage invention first from you and your friend from the
Netherlands.
Thank you rose – and please thank your friend from me rose
You're welcome, Anne-Lise. Maybe your stay at the Grand Hotel was a good decision. I've notified my friend by e-mail, that's all I can do at the moment.
[Jan 12, 2018 2:03:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thank you Adri.
I regard the top40.nl trek a very successful one in so many regards,
and in my mind this thread is still the very classy Grand Hotel,
you rebuilt it into.
Now with a lymph drainage clinic biggrin
Of course, you are welcome to take part in Base Camp's upcoming
Hungary
yourself if you can find a way to come or send some crunchers under your command.

[Jan 12, 2018 3:12:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Good Morning Base Campers!
Monday January 15 is
Hungary day
I shall probably make a headstart. Somebody has to do it, and we don’t know who else will do that.
Knowing, I shall not walk alone, TLD, is encouraging smile
I look forward to ringing your alarm clock
I’m 9 hours ahead of you, you know … devilish
Important message:
Any cruncher is more than welcome regardless of sex, race, and number of 'devices'.
It would be a great help if you would be so kind as to check in at the Hotel Géllert frontdesk,
the reason being that it will be far easier to find your name when it gets badge time.
Hungary has 956 all time members - 876 current.
That's a lot of names to sift through to find you.
It can be done, but the receptionist would rather be talking ....
You will have the opportunity to register later for your badge if you forgot to check in,
so we can put your name in the Base Camp Hall of Fame .

Hungary, we’re on our way to Liszt Ferenc Nemzetközi, a very civilized place
- that’s the Franz Liszt Airport at Budapest for those of you Base Campers
who haven’t brushed up on your Hungarian;
the Hungarians switch surname and family name and we call Ferenc 'Franz'

[Jan 12, 2018 10:27:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Aurum420, this is in essence what Base Camp and Base Camping is about.
[Jan 13, 2018 5:10:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I took the early morning flight to Liszt Ferenc airport in Budapest in order to arrange for our accomodation at the classic
Hotel Gellért with all it’s art deco charm.
We shall of course have silk sheets as we had in adriverhoef's Grand Hotel. It will be possible to pitch your tents at the nearby Gellért Mountain if you prefer, but as it is fairly steep you may want to make adjustments to get a level place for your sleeping bag.
- and the winter weather may be harsh, so please dress accordingly. We don't want you to catch a cold or what is worser.
So far TLD and mike047 have made firm promises to participate for various periods of time arriving from SeriousCrunchers in Texas.
Aurum420 a fairly new cruncher from the Great Basin has expressend an interest in helping us, so we may be four already.
We have room for many more. Hotel Gellért is a big place, and so is the Gellért Mountain, so, don’t hold back for lack of space.
Remember: just one single WU will earn you the Hungary badge tongue

Fact sheet
Destination: Hungary
Time frame: January 15 – January 25, 2018, with the peak date of January 20 where it would be fun if as many Base Campers as possible would be present at Hungary so we can try to make a SPIKE - a new Base Camp feature to be tested for the first time here cool
Purpose: To visit Hungary – the team and the country; a Visegrad country (for yourselves to find out)
Check-in: Please let the front desk know when you arrive, so we can sign you up for a badge
Communication: Hopefully we shall get in touch with some team Hungary team members in their team thread. If you know Hungarian, you’re all set. Otherwise Google Translate
will be your savior
- or it may lead to war .... shock
Badge:

Trek music: Let’s settle for ’An der schönen blauen Donau’
- branjo rose and I waltz it so well tongue love struck hugs
even as it’s an Austrian composer, but the Danube runs through Hungary, and once Hungary and Austria were one.
The Habsburg Monachy for those interested in history.
Base Camp looks forward to seeing you in Hungary
And some really good news: Saphir12-Nathalie is back from her second Swedish Sony Hospital hospitalization
- beware, I can crunch as well as talk now!
coffee coffee hugs
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 23, 2018 12:43:18 PM]
[Jan 13, 2018 8:48:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Tomorrow is H-day if you speak English or French.
H for HungaryHongrie (that would approximately sound like ’hungry’).
For me has been U-day since yesterday. U for Ungarn which may be as difficult to Hungarians as Magyarország is to me.

After a frosty night of some –6C/21F you’ll arrive to Hungary in bright sunshine. Don’t forget cool And do remember mittens.
From the airport you take bus number 200E to the Kőbánya-Kispest Metro station, the terminal of the Blue Metro line M3, get off at Kálvin tér (Calvin Square) and take the Green line M4 under the Danube and get off at the second stop right at Hotel Gellért – which is also the name of the station. The trains runs incessantly; you will hardly ever have to wait for more than five minutes.
You could take a taxi or something - and miss all the exicement devilish

At Hotel Gellért, I’ll be waiting for you with your keys. Alternatively you can climb the incline of Mount Gellért and find the place of your choice for your tent.

If you are a senior citizen of 65+ you have free public transportation in all of Hungary. A great thing that eleminates one stress factor of getting to know a new country/city. To be honest, I don’t know if that’s the rule for you Americans also, but you could always dress and speak like the English who are still inside the EU. I think it’s only for citizens of the EU countries. Originally it was for the Hungarians, but then you know, you cannot discriminate in one big community, so now most of elderly Europe gets a free ride just because Hungary wanted to do something nice for their own senior citizens. Public transportation includes boats on the Danube, so we can sail right through the city up and down and enjoy the wonderful views on both banks from North to South and opposite.
There are exellent buses and there are very nice, clean trams.

Did you know that Budapest the Yellow line M1 is the oldest Metro line in contineltal Europe? Hungary has preserved the classic style of the stations – even the access to and from the street is the charming old style. Have a look
- oh, I miss that place love struck

I know TLD will come in some days, and mike047, too. Apart from that, nothing is granted. I dropped a few invitations here and there, but nobody knows if anything will come to fruitition.

Neither do we know if Hungary will ever mspeak to us or even like us. We’ll see and hope for the best. You never know with blind dates. Talking about meeting the Hungarians: You should know a few useful phrases.
I knew you would find them just what you needed biggrin

Now all there is left is to wish you a pleasant and safe trip to Budapest, Hungary.
I’m afraid we shall not see too much of the rest of the country outside Budapest, although – unless the Hungarians have something they want to show us – we shall make a trip into the mountains behind Budapest.

See you in Hungary tomorrow – and don’t forget the tips I laid out in the Fact Sheet ^^^ in my previous post.
[Jan 14, 2018 3:56:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

mike047 welcome to Base Camp's Hungary trek.
In true Base Camp fashion you made a head start arriving yesterday. You also made a spike already biggrin
This is the runtime graph:

Do you prefer the outdoors life in 20F at the steep slopes of the Gellért Mountain right next to Hotel Géllert?
Or would you rather occupy a suite at Hotel Gellért in the genuine old Central European interior design
with a view of either the Danube or of that steep mountain and enjoy the central heating?

Added: Please accept your well deserved badge, mike047 cool

----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Feb 23, 2018 12:44:02 PM]
[Jan 14, 2018 11:01:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Good Afternoon Base Campers!
So how is our trek going? Hard to tell yet.
The graphs are promising though. This is the points one:

mike047 came early together with little mermaid. We have not heard of anyone else arriving so far, but acpartsman from The Edwardians who doesn’t like real life travel, thought a virtual trip to Hungary could be nice, and we have a letter of intent from him that he’ll tag along.
We haven’t had any reactions from the Hungarians, so we are prepared to make our own excursions if nothing materializes.

mike047 you came all the way from Alabama and acpartsman has presumably left Virginia by now. Going against time is the worst part jetlagwise. So I think we should start easy. Both of you will probably appreciate a relaxing massage i the beautiful surrounding of the hot springs facility connected to Hotel Gellért to have the travel fatigue worked out of your muscles.

A special elevator will take you to the wellness area.
I forgot to tell you to pack some bath sandals and swimsuits, because after the massage you’ll have the offer of basking in the hot spring pool surrounded by beautiful architecture.

Never mind, you can buy or rent this at a steep price on the spot.
Personally, I had the very first massage of my life here. I was scared to death and so tense that no strong fingers, hands, nor arms could work through it. She did it with lemon oil. I have never been able to clean the oily film off screen my cell phone since. But in all honesty, I liked it, and I have aquired bath sandals ready for a revisit to that palace of art nouveau/Jugend architecture. It’s never easy to find out how to do it for the first time.

Afterwards we’ll have dinner. We could choose the goulasch – Hungary’s national dish which is prepared in numerous ways

and whether it’s appropriate or not, we’ll have the Hungarian Tokai wine with it. The red one preferrably. Maybe they’ll have live music for us.
After a cup of coffee with a slice of Dobosh torte and a look at the newly renovated green Szabadsag hid (Liberty Bridge) across the Danube to the Pest side of this twin city, I think we’re ready to hit the bed for a good night’s sleep!
A new day awaits us tomorrow.
[Jan 15, 2018 7:15:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Good Afternoon Base Campers!
mike047, you and I are the only ones here in Hungary, and the Hungarians ignore us. I have noticed that somebody read Base Camp’s posts in team Hungary’s thread, but whom they are we cannot tell.
acpartsman did not show up. I interpreted his words as a *yes, I’ll take a virtual trek to Hungary*. I may have been wrong. Oh, it seems reading his post now that he'll join tonight.
not talking I'll use Ronald Reagan's catchword: Trust, but verify.
Aurum420, the unrule puppy, gave me the impression, but never really made any hard legal promise.
I may want to take lessons in thinking … never mind rolling eyes

This shall not get us down, mike047. We’ll dive into Budapest, the two of us. Are you well rested? Is you cell phone greased in unable-to-rub-off massage oil? Did you have a robust meal at the breakfast buffet? Have you bundled up in layered clothing? Good shoes/boots for walking/climbing? Great! Let’s go.

We’ll go to the bank of the Danube and soon we walk along a huge building.
That is BME - Budapest University of Technology and Economics. This institution can be traced back to AD1635. Today 14,000 students receive tuition here, 800 of them from 50 different countries. You can study:
Civil Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Architecture
Chemical Technology and Biotechnology
Electrical Engineering and Informatics
Transportation Engineering and Vehicle Engineering
Natural Sciences
Economic and Social Sciences

-a pretty goal oriented selection.
You will notice the roof, one of the trademarks of Hungarian roofing. Colored ceramic tiles in patterns that almost make you think Navajo. We'll see that roof far better when we go sailing downstream on the Danube.
On the backside of the building you'll notice a commemorative stone for the revolution/uprising in 1956, the first of many such reminders from those doomed days, we shall see on our walks in Budapest. It took most of a half century since that year for Hungary to gain freedom from the Soviet opression.
Budapest is full of libraries that will give any book afficionado/a and architectural ditto soft knees. Here is the BME one.

Actually we are at a very important place in modern Hungarian history.
"The 16 points that made up the political agenda of the revolution were created at the student rally held in the assembly hall of BME on 22 October, 1956. The next day the students of BME copied and distributed this list of demands throughout the city. That same day the silent demonstration that was followed by the toppling of Stalin’s statue, the siege of the national radio’s building, and the fight for freedom, started from BME, too."
Here you see that day commemorated

We’ll return to Hotel Gellért and take a look at the backyard with the outdoors hot spring pools. There’s something for us when the weather heats up.

Let’s take a cup of coffee before we climb Gellért Mountain. I hope you’re fit for it. I found it pulled teeth. You will find that you’re not babied with railings and so on as back home. You’re on your own. So watch your step, mike047
The first sight we meet is the Cave Church. The vast majority of Hungarians are Roman Catholics. They are not all that ready to open their country to Muslims which give conflicts with Big Brother EU. Hungary has a history of 150 years of oppression by the Ottoman Empire which historically can explain something.

As we wind our way up, one view after another pops up. The Danube, the bridges, the flat Pest part of the city. On the very top is the Citadella with a mighty large lady waving a palm leaf.

We’ll take our time looking around, begin our descent and pass St. Gellért spreading his blessings over the city below.

Down at the bank at the Danube we’ll marvel at the entrance of a tunnel leading through the Gellért Mountain at Erzsébet híd - the Elizabeth Bridge - and slowly we’ll walk along the Danube towards Hotel Gellért and a nap before dinner.
The boulevard on this stretch is named for Raoul Wallenberg, the affluent Swedish diplomat who succeeded in saving many Hungarian Jews during WW II. His disappearance in Soviet captivity is still shrouded in mystery.
[Jan 16, 2018 1:36:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 6595   Pages: 660   [ Previous Page | 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread