Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16983 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Yea, but does this help cancer?

snelleh - does that mean cancer research is only a side effect of this project?? I thought this project dealt head on with a cancer issue. Crystalisation seems like a good idea but will it help directly with cancer?
[Feb 28, 2008 8:35:00 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Yea, but does this help cancer?

It is the foundation of cancer research. This project is run by the Ontario Cancer Institute, and the research done here will provide the building blocks for the next steps in cancer research, as part of the larger Help Conquer Cancer initiative.

Actual scientific research is rarely as exciting as movies and science fiction would have us believe. This is the reality of cancer research as it is worked on by countless scientists around the world.
[Feb 28, 2008 8:49:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
l_mckeon
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

I've always thought that the project was poorly named. It should have been "Help Characterise Crystallisation" or some such.

It's true that the project is relevant to biological research in general, not just or especially cancer.
[Aug 25, 2011 11:59:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

You are probably right, it would be more accurate.
But would it tell much to potential volunteers looking for an interesting cause ? smile
And since it's part of the Help Conquer Cancer initiative why not use the more meaningful name ?
----------------------------------------
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Aug 26, 2011 4:03:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

'Help Characterize Crystallization for Cancer Research' might have been closer to the mark, but it's a bit of a mouthful.

Think I raised my concerns about the project name a few years ago. After looking into the research I thought it was worth contributing to no matter what the title.
If the Institutes techniques are usable elsewhere (a good thing) then it's really a general Physical BioChemistry project; the techniques could be applied to the Crystallization of other interesting molecules and thus advance many types of Biomedical research, as well as Cancer. I'm not aware of their techniques being used anywhere else, or for other research, but I haven't looked. Would be good to know though.
If the techniques are largely confined to the Institutes Cancer research labs, and they are using these new techniques to examining cancer related protein structures then I think it's more a Cancer research project than anything else.
It's worth noting that Crystallography is just a research technique. It can be applied to many research areas, without making it Crystallization or Crystallographic research. So if you better define the structure of a Cancer related molecule using this technique, then you are performing Cancer research. If on the other hand you are solely interested in developing Crystallization techniques, then you are performing Crystallization research.
Anyway, with the present project coming to a close in the near future, there is little point arguing over it's name.
[Aug 26, 2011 5:14:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Clemdog
Cruncher
Project Badges:

As a cancer survivor, ANYTHING that fights cancer, I'm for!
[Mar 23, 2012 8:06:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sorry in advance for how long-winded this ended up being.

Ironically, I just discovered this project while waiting for my computer to process a massive excel file with gene expression data in multiple myeloma patients. I was hoping that that was the sort of thing this project worked with because I've been thinking for a while about how useful a massive computing capacity would be for analyzing these data sets. From what I have read so far though, this cancer project is mostly concerned about crystallization.

Analysis of these gene expression profile would be the way to go and here's why:
-there are thousands of these available to the public (most grants require the researchers to publish this raw data)
-they are always underanalyzed. The researchers pick the bits of data important to their hypothesis but the rest of the data remains untouched.
-many of the datasets also have info on response to particular treatments, survival stats, and other useful info. This allows us to find predictive markers for drug response, prognosis etc. that can be applied to newly diagnosed patients to prevent wasting time on ineffective treatments and to determine how aggressively to treat.

These really are the low hanging fruit in today's science. If anyone of importance or influence is reading this, take the initiative and start up the project. I'd say it's good for a publication a week.
[May 18, 2012 10:13:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petehardy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Sorry in advance for how long-winded this ended up being.

Ironically, I just discovered this project while waiting for my computer to process a massive excel file with gene expression data in multiple myeloma patients. I was hoping that that was the sort of thing this project worked with because I've been thinking for a while about how useful a massive computing capacity would be for analyzing these data sets. From what I have read so far though, this cancer project is mostly concerned about crystallization.

Analysis of these gene expression profile would be the way to go and here's why:
-there are thousands of these available to the public (most grants require the researchers to publish this raw data)
-they are always underanalyzed. The researchers pick the bits of data important to their hypothesis but the rest of the data remains untouched.
-many of the datasets also have info on response to particular treatments, survival stats, and other useful info. This allows us to find predictive markers for drug response, prognosis etc. that can be applied to newly diagnosed patients to prevent wasting time on ineffective treatments and to determine how aggressively to treat.

These really are the low hanging fruit in today's science. If anyone of importance or influence is reading this, take the initiative and start up the project. I'd say it's good for a publication a week.

You should do it!

"Patience is a virtue", I can't wait to learn it!
[May 19, 2012 12:10:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If the contest at NVIDIA.com for their GPGPU Tesla contest wasn't over (I think), this may very well have one!!! Sounds like a GREAT PROJECT!!!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at May 19, 2012 12:15:06 AM]
[May 19, 2012 12:13:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread