Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 656 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused why do I need a proxy defined when I have none?

Hi all,

I have a little problem here that drives me crazy.

I ran the BOINC client for quite some time now, actually since UD closed down.
In general I am fine with BOINC, BUT I always had a hassle with this proxy settings, that reactivate themselves on every new start of BOINC.

- I have a DSL connection, this is a single user computer at home (WinXP SP2). There is nowhere a proxy active. Why the heck do I HAVE to use a proxy at all? Or, why does it not work with the standard (127.0.0.1:8118)?

- For the last months I always manually disabled the proxy and then all was fine.
- Since a couple of days, no new workload could be downloaded and I don't know why. At work all works fine (Company-Network, proxy, Vista).
- I uninstalled the version 5.10.28 and installed the latest one (5.10.45)
- same issue
- uninstalled again, deleted folder, cleaned registry of all entries with BOINC (even in my Firewall settings).
- now BOINC doesn't even connect to any of the offered links
- tried the same while allowing all communication through the firewall for testing purposes
- same result

I am at a loss here. All other internet connections work fine.
and yes, I searched in the forum here and in BOINC help, though I might have missed something. I am surely not the first to ask this question.

So hopefully someone can explain, where I go wrong and why I need the proxy set (or for that matter, why it is reactivating on every start).

Thanks in advance
Fosca
[May 14, 2008 5:23:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: why do I need a proxy defined when I have none?

Do I understand correctly that if you go to BOINC options, HTTP Proxy tab, the box is being re-ticked?

Can you find the cc_config.xml file on your disk and post the content here.

Can you check your internet explorer settings to ensure nothing is set there any where in the Connection settings including under the LAN settings area.

What is :8118? I know 8080, 80 and 443 v.v. BOINC, but not that port.

ttyl
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[May 14, 2008 5:49:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi Sekerob

actually, yes, the HTTP proxy tab is being re-ticked

this is the cc_config.xml:

<cc_config>
<log_flags>
</log_flags>
<options>
<dont_contact_ref_site>1</dont_contact_ref_site>
</options>
</cc_config>
<!-- View http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/ClientMessages for full set of
options and some explanations -->

==========
it is a fresh installation, trying the first contact to the project. (I checked in the files of my old installation (zipped the "left-overs" after the uninstallation)
I emptied all entries in the Internet Explorer settings already but unfortunatly it did not change anything

BR
[May 14, 2008 8:08:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Hi BR,

you did not answer the question about "Or, why does it not work with the standard (127.0.0.1:8118)?" What is this port? Per google it's a standard anonymous proxy port!

Back to BOINC options, visit the connections tab and hit the clear button. Also if there are connections listed, visit the network settings for those to see if anything is there.

Are you sharing the internet connection in any way?

Please boot machine, start up BOINC, run it till you get the error again and post all the Message tab log entries.

AND, is your machine fully viral des-infected, no bots, spam zombies or otherwise?

Not heard or read of this bug before.... something, but what repopulating that field.

Anyone in the know, please jump in.

[Added: Read the next.... suggest you got settings somewhere: http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO/WebBrowsers ]
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sekerob at May 14, 2008 8:40:16 PM]
[May 14, 2008 8:34:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hey,

so, I ran a scan with Search&Destroy and it found nothing at all.

sorry for not mentioning the :8118
actually, due to your link I remembered, that I used aprox. 2 years ago for some time Vidalia/Tor and yes, I found in firefox, though disabled, 127.0.0.1:8118
- deleted all entries in firefox and disabled proxy again
- deleted all entries of Tor, Vidalia, Privoxy in the registry
- removed BOINC
- reboot
- turned off Search&Destroy and Ad-Aware
- reinstalled BOINC

.... guess what... crying proxy back again

The computer is attached by Ethernet Cable to a router, which is temporarily shared with a flatmate.

Fosca
[May 14, 2008 9:46:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

okay, so there were proxies in past.... check the services.msc if anything legacy gets autostarted.... some stuff is truly hidden.
[May 14, 2008 9:54:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

no suspicious service except some "Punkbuster" but that seems to be some "anticheat" service installed by some game I played not long ago. I deactivated it, but anyway, the issue with the proxy appeared before I played that game.
- Most of the services are set to start "manually", some "deactivated", rest "automatically". The deactivated services I deactivated after the last re-roll.

New is, that BOINC cannot connect to any of the projects that are offered, alway telling me, the project is temporarily unavailable. This wasn't before.

No Windows Update, no new software installed

ran "netsh int ip reset all" and "netsh winsock reset", just in case, and rebooted.
- set IPs again to my static IP
- same sh*t
[May 14, 2008 10:11:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Try this:

1. Stop BOINC.
2. Delete client_state.xml and client_state_prev.xml
3. Restart BOINC.

Then open BOINC Manager and check the proxy settings. Please tell us exactly what it shows.

Thank you.
[May 15, 2008 5:03:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi again,

just came back from work...

- I deleted proxy entries in BOINC and disabled proxy
- closed BOINC
- deleted both files
- restarted BOINC
and same thing:
- proxy enabled and populated with 127.0.0.1 and port 8118

sad
[May 15, 2008 4:26:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Do a deep scan of your registry and the disk for any of these 127.0.0.1:8118 entries.... it's there somewhere.
[May 15, 2008 4:29:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread