Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 30
Posts: 30   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 30571 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
Col323
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: HPF2 Status Update

All of the information about experiment codes are in our database, and while we don't have a front end for it... I can probably keep a small page like the following up to date with some SQL queries. I'll try and list the codes here as we prepare and upload them to WCG. Maybe when it gets a little larger I'll come up with a better solution.
Experiment Table
--
Patrick
Hi Patrick. I've noticed some "mq" work units flowing my way, does that mean we've reached the end of Plasmodium knowlesi? Are we now on to Rice? Just wondering because your excellent page doesn't tell me what mq units are.

Thanks for your hard work!
[Jun 28, 2009 11:16:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi Patrick. I've noticed some "mq" work units flowing my way, does that mean we've reached the end of Plasmodium knowlesi? Are we now on to Rice? Just wondering because your excellent page doesn't tell me what mq units are.

Thanks for your hard work!

Col323, I've updated the experiment table. We've recently begun folding Rice, and will probably be doing so for some time. The Rice proteome is huge, and we wanted to hold off and finish some smaller organisms before committing to it. We may slip in some work units with high priority here and there, but most likely we'll all be crunching for the "Arabidopsis Folding Project." (http://homepages.nyu.edu/~rb133/#funding) until the end of the year.

In other news, we've been developing a paper that will publish the complete scale and scope of the work being done with the WCG. I will try and put together a status update to talk about it a little.
--
Patrick
[Jun 29, 2009 2:37:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Patrick,

This question then will be again right on the tip of the tongue: How does this RICE experiment differentiate from the Nutritious RICE f/t World project?

cheers
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jun 29, 2009 2:39:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Patrick,

This question then will be again right on the tip of the tongue: How does this RICE experiment differentiate from the Nutritious RICE f/t World project?

cheers

Sekerob, I can't say much about the methods they use for protein folding nor about the kind of research they use their models for because I just don't know. However, I'm sure there are many aspects in which we differ. While their project is only folding the Rice proteome, we've focused on a host of organisms in order to build a large resource. In terms of methods and software (which is the step of our research that the WCG is involved in) we use different paradigms: Rosetta vs Protinfo. Here's a snip from their project FAQ.

How is Protinfo different from other approaches?
Protein structure prediction is an active area of research, and no one method or methodology is "best" for all situations. The public success of projects like Folding@Home, POEM@Home, Human Proteome Folding, and Rosetta@Home are evidence of the interest in solving this computationally challenging problem. We wish to offer another approach that differs in certain subtle but significant ways that can provide complementary and competitive results.

While I'm sure there may be some overlap in the goals of our projects (predicting protein structure and function), I'm convinced that our methods are very different. In regards to the differences in the kind of experiments and research that our structure predictions support, I can't say much, but again I'm sure that the projects head in different directions. Our project is about providing a useful resource for biologists studying a variety of topics: immunology, virulence, cell processes, cellular differentiation, etc. We fold many different organisms and make predictions for proteins that cover all aspects of biology. With the publication of our database and results we hope to make contributions in many different areas of research.

Personally, I think it would be good for volunteers to support "complementary and competitive" ideas in the pursuit of a richer scientific knowledge, but I'll admit I'm only crunching for HPF (supporting the home team). If you were to feel differently I would encourage you to investigate the websites and publications of the labs you're considering supporting.
--
Patrick
[Jun 29, 2009 8:05:23 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pcwr
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Thanks for the info.

Patrick

[Jun 30, 2009 7:09:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Somervillejudson@netscape.net
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

A update coming soon? tongue tongue tongue
[Aug 31, 2009 2:49:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

May I add my question how the RICE experiment relates to the "HUMAN" in HPF2?

Regards,
Martin

[Oct 21, 2009 12:29:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello martin64 ,
Welcome to the wonderful world of comparative genetics/proteomics. HPF2 is collecting data on many species in the hope that a discovery made about one group of proteins in one species will illuminate general rules in analogous proteins in many other species - fungus, plant and animal.

NRW is concentrating on rice.

Lawrence
[Oct 21, 2009 8:02:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Hil Lawrence,

thanks for your attempt for an explanation. I still have, however, some difficulties understanding it. Folding plasmodium, as an example, is straight forward, because it might at the end of the day lead to a drug or vaccine against Malaria. But how will humans benefit from folding rice proteins, or from similarities found between human and rice proteins? Maybe an example of what such a potential benefit could be would help me understand the matter on a very high level... wink

I think I have understood the difference between the RICE project (NRW) and the RICE experiments in HPF2, though.

Regards,
Martin

[Oct 21, 2009 9:17:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello martin64,
The idea is that a lot of scientists concentrate on just a few species, such as certain types of yeast. If such a scientist discovers how a group of proteins interact in yeast, then it may be possible to find an analogous group of proteins in distant cousins that act similarly, even though each protein is shaped differently. It may be possible to trace an evolutionary chain all the way to humans, in effect transferring a discovery from yeast to human beings.

Lawrence
[Oct 22, 2009 12:19:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 30   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread