Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 931 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Very long running WU (Resolved)

I have an unusual WU running - it is HFCC_t1_00932619_TrkB_0001_0. It has been running for 29 hours and To Completion is 48 hours.
Usualy the HFCC WUs run some 8-10 hours.
Another funny is that the Elapsed time on the Advanced view and the Simple view are very different (29 hours vs 11 hours)
Any thoughts folks?
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jun 18, 2009 6:19:03 AM]
[Jun 17, 2009 6:25:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Very long running WU

In reverse order

You're clearly on a 6.6 client, NOT recommended unless you do GPU computing as well. The developers had because of a timekeeping problem for GPU the phenomenal idea to drop CPU time in the Grid View and put wallclock time in place. If in that view and you hit the properties button after selecting the task you can see the CPU as well.

29 Hours wallclock versus 11 hours CPU time is not good. Means the job got only getting 38% of the CPU time. Suggest you exit BOINC and it's service completely and restart. Hopefully the job will run on. But, do watch the CPU time and the % progress. The wallclock is giving false information, particular when stuck or looping.

Let us know how it goes
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Jun 17, 2009 6:40:02 AM]
[Jun 17, 2009 6:39:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
confused Re: Very long running WU

Thanks for the info Sekerob. I am on a 6.6 client, but have been for some time without any problems, so this latest has come as a surprise. The properties view is interestig, and shows CPU time 11 hours, Elapsd time 29 hours time remaining 46 hours, fraction done 27%. My preferences are set toallow 70% CPU usage. I will let the job run and watch it carefully.
Once again Thanks amigo.
[Jun 17, 2009 6:48:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
applause Re: Very long running WU

WU completed successfully and vaildate after 18.32 hours CPU time (some 60hors elapsed time). the WU seemed to prgress faster after it got to about 60% completed).
Once again,many thanks for your support
[Jun 18, 2009 6:18:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Good, if you please edit your opening post and insert [RESOLVED] in the title all other know there's an answer to the problem and case is closed.

One note of curiosity, are you running 'crunch only when idle' on top of 70% CPU time (preference not ticked for Work while computer is in use)? That might explain the 18 hours CPU time versus 60 hours wallclock.

cheers
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jun 18, 2009 6:25:09 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I have specified 'use 70% of CPU', 'run while other work = yes', and 'on multi-processors use 100% of processors' - also 'run while on batteries = yes'.
All previous HFCC WUs had normal run times and CPU times - this was the first WU that I noticed because the run time was so long (estimated at 80 hours when it started). And, as I've said before, I have been running 6.6.28 since May 17 without any such 'problem'.
The current WU for HFCC is showing Elapsed Time 6h, CPU time 4h, Est Time remaining= 16h - still a bit above what I would consider normal for HFCC. - But all seems OK - maybe just some longer running WUs
[Jun 18, 2009 9:35:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread