Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 34
Posts: 34   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5585 times and has 33 replies Next Thread
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: New machine for the project.

So I hear the new Macpro is going to have too of those chips on one board... Any truth to that? I'm seeing rumors to that effect, but i have no idea how to post a link to it... wait
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/macpro/
well almost worked...
so with moviemans math, that's about 130K PPD...
----------------------------------------

[Nov 14, 2009 6:30:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Movieman
Veteran Cruncher

No, not 130,000PPD..
Mine is a dual socket system..65,000PPD..
Now we could get close to 130,000PPD out of a dual socket rig but to do it with westmere chips I think you'd need to overclock it to close to 5200mhz.. biggrin
For 5200mhz you'd need more than water cooling.
maybe a good single stage phase unit to pull the cpu's down to minus 40C..
Then you still need a board with an unlocked bclk and all the voltage adjustments.
Now I like the dual socket rigs so I do those but if you want to build the best bang for the buck machine but yourself a i7-920 at microcenter when they are on sale for $200.00, a good X58 board like the Gigabyte UD3 or UD5, a good HS like the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120's, GOOD 3x1 gig or 2 gig DDR3-1600 memory, a good PSU like the PCP+c 610's and it will do over 30,000PPD in WCG and then next year when the 6 core gulftowns release get one.
In that type of board you could approach 50,000PPD with a well set up single socket 6 core.
That is the smart plan from the way i see things..
As to Apple; Pretty cases and IMHO thats it.
Since this is a PG rated forum with people of thin skin I'll skirt the issue and say it would be nice of Apple to at least provide some vasoline when they quote you those prices. wink

[Nov 14, 2009 7:15:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

My mistake thought you had a single I9
Oh well, so can you get a dual socket motherboard and daughterboard?

[Nov 14, 2009 2:49:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Movieman
Veteran Cruncher

My mistake thought you had a single I9
Oh well, so can you get a dual socket motherboard and daughterboard?

dual socket yes, dual socket with duaghterboard no.
I think your thinking of the tyan quad socket boards that have two daughterboards that will plug in with 2 sockets on each for a total of 8 sockets. Those are for the AMD cpu's..
Nothing like that for Intel.
Next generation after this will be 8 core beckton and that will be a 8 way(socket) capable platform.
64 cores/128 threads and will cost like sin..
Way out of my league.
Probably cost over $20,000.00 to build one of those.

[Nov 14, 2009 6:52:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Movieman
Veteran Cruncher

Update:
After 9 days on the project the machine is showing an average of 63,303PPD..
Amazing considering the slow 2660mhz speed.
I'll have some 3200(3330 on turbo) chips soon to replace these and then I think close to 80,000PPD is possible.
Oh, #3 for the day(today) and week according to BOINC. biggrin
http://boincstats.com/stats/host_stats.php?pr...ctive=&st=0&or=10

[Nov 21, 2009 9:51:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sk..
Master Cruncher
http://s17.rimg.info/ccb5d62bd3e856cc0d1df9b0ee2f7f6a.gif
Project Badges:

MM, two remotely possible OC options for the future.
An overclocking software application is developed that works on that board - unlikely but you never know.
Finding how to mark the back of the CPU with a silver pen, upping the multiplier so that the board and CPU thinks the CPU clock is higher. Again, this is unlikely, for a while anyway - it is an ES after all.

I guess you are using XP from the link?
Is it x86 or x64???
What Boinc version are you using?
Again x86 or the combo one?
I see 3rd spot is listed as having 2.53GHz cores
Did you check this with CPUz - and no I dont want to see it posted!
PS. If you set process afinity your numbers might go up slightly, but you would be busy on that rig!
Also x64 is faster, by up to 35% on some tasks, so choose your projects for that rig wisely.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by skgiven at Nov 22, 2009 1:46:05 PM]
[Nov 22, 2009 1:35:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Movieman
Veteran Cruncher

MM, two remotely possible OC options for the future.
An overclocking software application is developed that works on that board - unlikely but you never know.
Finding how to mark the back of the CPU with a silver pen, upping the multiplier so that the board and CPU thinks the CPU clock is higher. Again, this is unlikely, for a while anyway - it is an ES after all.

I guess you are using XP from the link?
Is it x86 or x64???
What Boinc version are you using?
Again x86 or the combo one?
I see 3rd spot is listed as having 2.53GHz cores
Did you check this with CPUz - and no I dont want to see it posted!
PS. If you set process afinity your numbers might go up slightly, but you would be busy on that rig!
Also x64 is faster, by up to 35% on some tasks, so choose your projects for that rig wisely.

Right now some very talented people are working on finding a way around this locked BCLK issue.
As to multi's, those are locked on the chip.
The cpu's show 2530mhz because that is what they are BUT they also have a 1X turbo function which gives a running speed of 2660mhz.
I'm running XP Pro 64 bit with BOINC X64 version 6.6.36..
As to BSEL mods on the cpu's thats possible but usually BSEL mods effect the speed(BCLK or in older FSB) not the multi's but thats worth looking into so thanks for the suggestion.
I did BSEL mods to the clovertowns I had back a couple years ago and could take a 10X multi X5350 65nm Clovertown(Kentsfield) from 2660/8mb/1066 to 3330/8mb/1333 just by putting a small piece of electrical tape over the H30 pad.
There were also BSEL mods for the 45nm harpertowns(Yorkfields) but you start to get into working on very tiny parts and my eyes like the rest of me are almost age 58.. sad
These are now 32nm and I kid you not, you'd need a very young pair of eyes and a very steady hand to try a BSEL mod on them.
My hands are still up to the task but not so sure on the eyes.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Movieman at Nov 22, 2009 10:21:53 PM]
[Nov 22, 2009 10:06:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mike047
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

GOOD work Dave.
mike
Crunch Hard, Crunch Often

[Nov 22, 2009 11:29:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Movieman
Veteran Cruncher

GOOD work Dave.

Thanks Mike..
It's doing close to 100WU per day on HCCC right now and with the new chips it should easily break that amount..

Now speaking of Mike I think some of you should know a bit about him. An old fart like me( older actually) that had an idea that rather than staying with one team he would go to many and help motivate people to be involved.
Can't say enough about this guy.
One of those people your glad you met in life.
Thanks Mike for all you've done.

[Nov 23, 2009 12:34:51 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

Hi MM. Great machine. I want!
Now what do all the other journos do with the ES chips they get to test? Just where do they fall off the back of which truck?
BTW, for those thinking about a Gulftown/i9 (6-core 32nm), who don't want to pay the mooted US$1000+ CPU price, there is mention on XtremeSystems.org that there will be a 2.4GHz Xeon version that should be cheaper.
Are there no other manufacturers of dual-socket LGA1366 motherboards. Asus stuff is not that bad (understatement), and they made LGA775 dualies I think.
Can you change a crystal, or otherwise re-engineer the clock gen part of your motherboard perhaps?
And I think your hardware guys might be able to get control of Vcore by busting into the connections to the CPU power supply VRMs - the ones used in the Vdroop mods.
Good luck, anyway.

Yep - the glasses. Why are old men grumpy? Because (a) they need reading glasses, and (b) they've forgotten where they put the @!!**## things. Useful hint, assuming you can buy cheapo "magnifying"/reading glasses at drugstores/markets/gas stations in the US ... You can stack them. Wear 2-3 pairs at once. The powers are additive. And strong light hides a multitude of eye weaknesses. [61, with keratoconus ].

[OT]: 1.35V seems a bit high for a Yorkie @ 4.17GHz, and I'd have trouble keeping it cool in summer. How hot do you let it run?
Yesterday here was 39deg C, and it's not summer yet. Q9650A: 4.13GHz, 1.264V, TRUE, 56deg (Realtemp 3.0). Q9650B: 3.98GHz, 1.27V (dog), Nautilus 500, 56deg. Q9650C (new): 4.05GHz (throttled back), 1.24V, Megahalems, 59deg.
[Nov 23, 2009 12:12:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 34   Pages: 4   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread