Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12310 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
multiple errors

I have had 78 rice WU's error out on my laptop during the last day and a half. I just found out when I checked on my laptop. the error log states:

Result Name: R00437_ 7c14957caac56700583cecf95b304de7_ 03_ 013_ 16--

<core_client_version>6.10.18</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
too many exit(0)s
</message>
]]>

I had been running windows 7 64bit on the laptop for 6 days without an issue. Most of it was HFCC. It crunched 9 rice WU's with valid results before the errors began.

I reset the project after rebooting the computer (Boinc was frozen), but now it is stating that I have reached my quota of 58 units for the day. I also have no WU's left to crunch. Without being able to download additional WU's, I am unable to see if it was a onetime crash on BOINC, or if it will crunch other projects without issue.
[Nov 20, 2009 9:19:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: multiple errors

Still unable to download WU's. I have detached and reatached, and uninstall and reinstalled multiple times. I figured that if I uninstalled and reinstalled, it would see me as a new device and start from scratch. It is still seeing the same device. Any suggestions? How can I get new WU's?
[Nov 20, 2009 10:26:19 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
falconet
Advanced Cruncher

can you tell us the BOINC version?And post your message log?
----------------------------------------
[Nov 20, 2009 10:30:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Boinc version was posted in the first post. 6.10.18. The message log is wiped each time you reboot, so I have no clue what it said when boinc first froze.
[Nov 20, 2009 10:32:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Still unable to download WU's. I have detached and reatached, and uninstall and reinstalled multiple times. I figured that if I uninstalled and reinstalled, it would see me as a new device and start from scratch. It is still seeing the same device. Any suggestions? How can I get new WU's?

You can just wait until midnight Server-time. Since the WCG-servers for some reason runs on UTC, this should be in a little over 1 hour.

Or, if you're not running any other BOINC-projects than WCG and is really impatient, you can do:
1: Verify the location of BOINC data-directory (listed in Messages when BOINC-client starts).
2: Uninstall BOINC.
3: Navigate to the BOINC data-directory, and delete it's contents (including any sub-directories).
4: Re-install BOINC.
5: Re-attach to WCG, and you should register as a new host...

If for some reason this method doesn't work, you'll need to wait until midnight anyway...

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Nov 20, 2009 10:52:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks Ingleside. I had all ready tried that before your post. I do not know why, but it did not register as a new host. I did exactly this:

1: Verified the location of BOINC data-directory (listed in Messages when BOINC-client starts). It was at C:\programdata\boinc
2: Uninstalled BOINC.
3: Deleted C:\programdata\boinc and C:\program files\boinc and included all sub-directories.
4: Re-installed BOINC.
5: Re-attached to WCG

I also tried removing boinc via the install program from berkeley. It asks you if you want to repair or remove the progam. That did not work.

There must be another hidden file I can not find.
[Nov 20, 2009 11:01:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

There must be another hidden file I can not find.

If you did delete the data-directory, there aren't any other files to delete...

So, apparently, it will now recognize a computer based only on other parameters like computer-name & OS, and maybe some other things (like maybe MAC-address on your network-card or whatever method you're connecting with).

So, at this point it's better to just wait for roughly 45 minutes longer, until you can download more work.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Nov 20, 2009 11:18:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ya, I am waiting. There may be one positive thing out of this. Reinstallation of boinc will no longer increase your device installations. Mine is at 22, even though I do not have 22 devices running boinc. Today, with all of the tries at reinstalling, I stayed at 22 devices.
[Nov 20, 2009 11:37:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

That Start Here or Help FAQ's are never or rarely read is once again extensively confirmed. "So, apparently, it will now recognize a computer based only..." The implementation by WCG to try match a new device install/computer against the ones already known has been in place for over a year. It's not perfect [I know how to break this], but case in point here, it does work if nothing too drastic happens. smile
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Nov 20, 2009 11:55:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I never looked at the Start Here or Help FAQ's in regards to installing new devices or that it would not recognize my laptop as a new device when I reinstalled. I was not that worried about it. I knew it would eventually reset at midnight. My main reason for this thread was to post the error issue. I hope it was a one time crash, and not an issue with windows 7, the boinc client, or both.
[Nov 21, 2009 12:04:15 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread