Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 12
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3589 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Manuel Lupotto [UNIPV]
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Publications page

It would be nice to have a “publications” page where publications of all the WCG projects are listed.
Now it is a little bit complicated to find the publications on the specific project website, and sometimes it is also hard to understand in which publications WCG has contributed.
For example in the HPF2 website there are a lot of publications from the bonneau lab, but I’m sure that only a few have the contribution of WCG.
So, it would be nice and usefull to have a publications page directly on the WCG website, also to make a new users visiting the website understand that a lot of usefull work is done thanks to WCG.
smile
[Mar 11, 2010 4:43:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Publications page

Hi Manuel,

Not obvious, but it is/was maintained by a volunteer on the WCGWikia, item 9E (presently) on the FAQ index:

http://wcg.wikia.com/wiki/Publications

Believe since 1 or 2 more papers were released. Maybe our science oriented CA wants to give it a stab and update the page?

edit: btw, a filter of the research link up top on All Research, Papers & Publications produces this list:

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/re...amp;sortBy=&pageNum=1
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Mar 11, 2010 4:51:24 PM]
[Mar 11, 2010 4:49:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Manuel Lupotto [UNIPV]
Cruncher

Ok, personally I can find this information on the Wiki.
But WCG must have a publication page, with a link immediately visible on the homepage.
Let’s say that I’m a scientist coming on the website for the first time, I found all this staff really interesting and useful and I say “Ok, let’s see the publications , I’m curious to see how the WCG has contributed to this research projects and how many and on which journal the publications are”. I can’t find this information. Only opening all the single project websites and searching for the publications page I can find something, but even after that I can’t distinguish in which publications WCG is involved and in which it is not. If I found it, I can go on the Wiki, but it is a wiki and I don't know if it is updated, who wrote the publications,... It is so confusing!

I think that WCG really need an official publications page.
I'm the only one that think this is important?
There is any chance to see that improvement in the future?
[Mar 13, 2010 10:22:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

I think that WCG really need an official publications page.
I'm the only one that think this is important?

No.. you're not the only one. This has been on our wishlist for a long time. This is important for the sake that also ordinary people / crunchers are interested about these results and are asking this question continuously.

There is any chance to see that improvement in the future?

I guess techs are heavily employed already, for an example, see here smile
to infinity and beyond

[Mar 13, 2010 11:02:31 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

For the intermittent, it's the members/volunteers that can help to bring the Wiki Research papers page up to date, the wiki that was to become our [official] central one point repository of all to know about WCG... but where are they?

btw, Manuel, got some spare cycles to work on WCG projects? We can use help in that easiest part of the equation. Rosetta/HPF2 is fundamental research, Help Fight Childhood Cancer, Dengue and FightAIDS are specific searches for more immediate answers to cures. 16 years of CPU time I've been able to contribute, but a few hours a day is equally well appreciated.

thanks.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Mar 13, 2010 11:42:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Manuel Lupotto [UNIPV]
Cruncher

No.. you're not the only one.

That's a good news. wink

For the intermittent, it's the members/volunteers that can help to bring the Wiki Research papers page up to date, the wiki that was to become our [official] central one point repository of all to know about WCG... but where are they?

I think this is a common problem. Also the publications page on the BOINC website is not updated. A few days ago I found that Rosetta publications were frozen at 2007. I have update the page with some more recent papers, but it is still incomplete.
This is the reason why the official publications pages are needed.

btw, Manuel, got some spare cycles to work on WCG projects? We can use help in that easiest part of the equation. Rosetta/HPF2 is fundamental research, Help Fight Childhood Cancer, Dengue and FightAIDS are specific searches for more immediate answers to cures. 16 years of CPU time I've been able to contribute, but a few hours a day is equally well appreciated.
thanks.

I'm not sure I have understood correctly... are you asking me to participate in distributed computing?
I'm a cruncher since 2005! biggrin
[Mar 14, 2010 11:56:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
roundup
Veteran Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

thanks.

I'm not sure I have understood correctly... are you asking me to participate in distributed computing?
I'm a cruncher since 2005! biggrin

... why then did you return your last result for WCG more than 2 months ago (to be exactly: on 7 th January)? wink

Crunch on! good luck
[Edit 1 times, last edit by roundup at Mar 14, 2010 12:51:57 PM]
[Mar 14, 2010 12:50:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Manuel Lupotto [UNIPV]
Cruncher

[... why then did you return your last result for WCG more than 2 months ago (to be exactly: on 7 th January)? wink

Crunch on! good luck

Because I fell in love with Rosetta@home! wink That is the basis of HPF2 actually..
[Mar 14, 2010 4:39:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

Because I fell in love with Rosetta@home! That is the basis of HPF2 actually..

No problem that you married Rosetta. But do not forget to take care of your kid HPF2. Two months without any news from his parents, he may feel abandoned. crying

[Mar 15, 2010 7:06:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikaok
Senior Cruncher
Finland
Project Badges:

smile

You can add some weight to WCG from your BOINC client. If Rosetta is no 1 for you, leave 90 % resource share for that project and put 10 for the WCG. That way you can be spending time with them both.
to infinity and beyond

[Mar 15, 2010 7:16:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread