Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 13
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2577 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
andreic
Advanced Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Show graphics on a Mac doesn't work properly

I'm just crunching a WU (far too small, only 1:49) and I did a show graphics. It didn't paint the screen properly (just a grey box), when you move it off of the screen and back on it paints some of the screen, then it won't close even doing a force quit.

Meanwhile it takes 25-50% of a CPU and you have to go into Activity Monitor to blow it away.

A

BTW 2.4GHz dual core MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM w/ OSX 10.6.2
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by andreic at Mar 23, 2010 11:29:32 PM]
[Mar 23, 2010 11:27:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Re: Show graphics on a Mac doesn't work properly

Anyway you could provide a screen shot of what you saw? The graphics showed up fine on my snow leopard machine.

-Uplinger
[Mar 23, 2010 11:50:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Which BOINC-version are you running?

If not mis-remembers, you'll need v6.10.xx to show graphics successfully on Snow Leopard.

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[Mar 24, 2010 12:06:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

I'm just crunching a WU (far too small, only 1:49) and I did a show graphics. It didn't paint the screen properly (just a grey box), when you move it off of the screen and back on it paints some of the screen, then it won't close even doing a force quit.

Meanwhile it takes 25-50% of a CPU and you have to go into Activity Monitor to blow it away.

A

BTW 2.4GHz dual core MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM w/ OSX 10.6.2

From our FAQ:
For Mac, version 6.2.18 - Download Here
Note that due to changes in OS X 10.6.x aka Snow Leopard, version 6.6 or higher is needed, 6.10.21 advised.

Think the graphics bit was resolved with version 6.6 for OS-X 10.6, but for SL, 6.10.21 is the general answer.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Mar 24, 2010 12:24:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
andreic
Advanced Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Uplinger - I can't send you a screen shot unless you can send me another to crunch on ;-)

Machine name is aluminum.

Ingleside -
Sat Mar 6 08:49:00 2010 Starting BOINC client version 6.10.21 for x86_64-apple-darwin

A
[Mar 24, 2010 12:47:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
andreic
Advanced Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

Well that's odd. This morning my machines are working on "ts" work units. One of them is running 6.10.21 and the other is 6.10.17 and they work properly.

Yesterday's work unit that didn't show properly was a "erlc_a" if that makes any difference.

A
[Mar 24, 2010 2:57:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Project Badges:

Hmm...very interesting, the differences between the two targets should not cause any issues for the display. I wonder though if it had something to do with type C work unit. Since you're running a type A work units (ts). Please keep an eye on it, and if it acts up again, please try to get a screen shot for us to see what you are.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Mar 24, 2010 3:02:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
andreic
Advanced Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

HAH, it did it!

The ts WU that is running on my laptop, running 6.10.21 failed to show the graphics. It worked earlier today, now it's toast. I got pics aaaaaaand the dump report that was going to be sent to Apple when I did a force quit.

Where would you like the screen shots and dump report sent?

A
[Mar 25, 2010 2:47:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Project Badges:

Send them to support@worldcommunitygrid.org You can put "attn: Uplinger" in the title and I'll get it from that. Curious, did the screen saver work before you started getting a percentage complete? then Fail after you got to a point with percentage?

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Mar 25, 2010 2:18:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
andreic
Advanced Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

"did the screen saver work before you started getting a percentage complete? then Fail after you got to a point with percentage?"

That is possible. I seem to remember that my first attempt was just as I forced the WU to start. You could be on to something.

A

Files are on their way.
[Mar 25, 2010 4:44:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread