Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 48
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10770 times and has 47 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
applause Special thread for this!! Large Hadron Collider

Large Hadron Collider

The Large Hadron Collider has been restarted, and CERN is now focused on delivering collisions to the LHC experiments. The first attempt to collide protons at 7 TeV (3.5 TeV per beam) is scheduled for 30 March. On the day, a media event will be held at CERN and a live webcast will be available.

Information and resources for the media related to 30 March event can be found on the LHC First Physics website

LHC research programme gets underway
[Mar 30, 2010 7:44:30 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Richard Mitnick
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: Special thread for this!! Large Hadron Collider

The deed is done, it is all over the internet press.
----------------------------------------
[Mar 31, 2010 3:00:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Yes I know smile , if you want more links

Here is one
[Mar 31, 2010 4:27:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

There is also an LHC@home but does not seem a very serious undertaking. It is not very active and the site is somewhat neglected. It has been moved out of CERN.
The CERN seems to prefer a dedicated professional grid instead of using a general worldwide public solution. We will see if that is enough. The CERN has a big risk of drowning under the data flow.
But if we look at Seti, WCG, Rosetta etc.. those grids works tremendously well and continue to attract new members.
To have a seriously managed general public grid is also an excellent way for CERN to do marketing and advertising worldwide. CERN needs public money from countries around the world. What better way than a grid that gives possibility to any citizen of the world to contribute to discover the intimate secrets of matter and of our universe. shock

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Hypernova at Mar 31, 2010 3:05:52 PM]
[Mar 31, 2010 3:04:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi Hypernova,
Actually, most grids are professional, whether academic or corporate. Public grids such as the one BOINC runs are relatively unusual, though they get most of the publicity. The LHC will produce a monstrous amount of data, requiring heavy-duty network resources.
I suspect (IMHO) the public portion of the work done for them will be intended primarily for publicity and public relations. Most of the work will run over professional fiber connections.

Lawrence
[Mar 31, 2010 4:04:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petehardy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

You can monitor the status of the LHC and the 4 main experiments here .

"Patience is a virtue", I can't wait to learn it!
[Mar 31, 2010 4:49:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Marc Andre Wyss
Advanced Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

@Hypernova: I worked 2 years for the University of Bern Linux Cluster. Up to 200 cores were dedicated for ATLAS. One of the experiments of the LHC. Every second week we had to install a new version of the computing software for the experiment. But we had to keep the old version as well. In the worst case there were about 10 to 100 different versions at the same time. I once asked a physicist why the software is changing that often and that much. He said that everything is just a Montecarlo simulation (to test the computing centers) and that they don't know yet what they exactly want to compute when real data will be recorded. They have build a lot of different detectors, but they don't know for sure what they will detect. So they simply don't know what they want to compute. I think LHC@Home is not running at the moment, because the software for real data isn't written yet. But that's just a suggestion of mine, because I had direct contact to LHC physicists when I studied computer science at the university. I may be wrong.
Schweizerische Muskelgesellschaft
(Swiss Muscular Dystrophy Association)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Marc Andre Wyss at Mar 31, 2010 5:15:17 PM]
[Mar 31, 2010 5:04:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Surely you meant particle physicists, physicians being in the medical profession :D
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Mar 31, 2010 5:13:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Marc Andre Wyss
Advanced Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

@Sekerob: Is it correct now? :-D
Schweizerische Muskelgesellschaft
(Swiss Muscular Dystrophy Association)
[Mar 31, 2010 5:15:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
petehardy
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Beams are ramping up now!

"Patience is a virtue", I can't wait to learn it!
[Mar 31, 2010 5:16:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread