Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 269
Posts: 269   Pages: 27   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 140238 times and has 268 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Hardware - Technology - news

'Historic' day as first non-latin web addresses go live

Arab nations are leading a "historic" charge to make the world wide web live up to its name.

Net regulator Icann has switched on a system that allows full web addresses that contain no Latin characters.

Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are the first countries to have so-called "country codes" written in Arabic scripts.

The move is the first step to allow web addresses in many scripts including Chinese, Thai and Tamil.

More than 20 countries have requested approval for international domains from the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (Icann).

It said the new domains were "available for use now" although it admitted there was still some work to do before they worked correctly for everyone. However, it said these were "mostly formalities".....
[May 6, 2010 3:54:20 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Japanese team discovers 'super disc' material

A Japanese research team has found a material that could be used to make a low-price super disc with data storage capacity thousands of times greater than a DVD, the lead scientist said Monday.....
[May 24, 2010 10:42:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Scientists create world's smallest electronic switch

Scientists have created the world's smallest electronic switch, measuring just seven atoms.
The world's smallest transistor built with just seven atoms in a single silicon crystal and measuring four nanometres in length Photo: AFP
The transistor, measuring four-billionths of a metre and embedded in a single silicone crystal, is the first step in a "quantum computer" which will make calculations millions of times faster than existing devices.
Michelle Simmons, the lead researcher, said the technology has major implications for code-breaking, financial transactions and weather forecasting, which involve testing enormous numbers of possible scenarios.......
[May 24, 2010 12:42:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:

Scientists have created the world's smallest electronic switch, measuring just seven atoms.

WCG Scientist should start also to think about ways to design projects that can make use of such crunching power. When this power will be available for supercomputers, mere mortals like us will probably have 10 or 20 times more crunching power available.

As an example the fastest supercomputer in the world has a capability of a sustained 1700 TFlop/sec crunching power.
Let's suppose that we take the NRW project. It finished at 20 billion points.
Now 0.7 Million points equal 1 TFlop. With 1700 Tflop you finish the whole project in 17 seconds.
FAAH is approaching 60 billion points. That is one minute.
Ok. I know all these numbers do not relate as easily. The supercomputer is benchmarked with Linpack, and WCG projects do not relate in terms of calculations so easily to those benachmarks. Calculations are not always on flops but integers etc. And the ratio 0.7Million points = 1TFlop is also for sure approximate.
Nevertheless the example gives orders of magnitudes which gives us a glimpse of what will be possible in the future. As crunchers will update their systems the collective crunching power will increase. We are at 400 TFlop/day but in two or three years we should be over the Petaflop for sure.
And GPU crunching can also give a terrible boost to existing systems immediately today.

All this is excellent news for humanity, but scientist will be under pressure to use all that power the best possible way.
----------------------------------------

[May 24, 2010 7:52:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Hypernova,

You have a flaw in your arithmetic. If you think about it a little bit you will see where it is. You are grossly overestimating the speed of a 1700 teraflop machine.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[May 25, 2010 12:36:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

You have a flaw in your arithmetic.

Let's see hum..... thinking

If we agree on the 1TFlop = 700'000 points

1700 TFlop/sec X 0.7 million points = 1.19 billion points/sec.

20 billion points / 1.19 billion points/sec = 16.8 sec

Seems right. But Sgt.Joe please do not hesitate to tell me were the error is. biggrin

[May 25, 2010 4:24:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Jack007
Master Cruncher
CANADA
Project Badges:

You have a flaw in your arithmetic.

Let's see hum..... thinking

If we agree on the 1TFlop = 700'000 points

1700 TFlop/sec X 0.7 million points = 1.19 billion points/sec.

20 billion points / 1.19 billion points/sec = 16.8 sec

Seems right. But Sgt.Joe please do not hesitate to tell me were the error is. biggrin

Well there has to be an error, because if WCG is doing 400 teraflops
which is 1/4.25 of the speed of the supercomputer,
means we should be doing it in 71.4 seconds.
which means my 50 gigaflops a day should be done in 6.6 days.
Where the error is I don't know, let me make some coffee

[May 25, 2010 11:29:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

20,000,000,000 / 700,000 = 28,751.43 TFL / 1,700 TFL sustained = 17 days

Would the 400 TFL WCG machine exclusively do RICE, than 71 Days or 2.37 months.

Test:

20,000,000,000 RICE points / 292,000,000 points WCG daily last Monday = 68.5 days it would at this power take on our grid.

I.e. 17 days it would take on the fastest computer we know of. In the context of WCG that makes sense, mi penso.

Calculus may get rusty... my Omron is too.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[May 25, 2010 12:30:28 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

[May 26, 2010 4:47:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Project Badges:

20,000,000,000 / 700,000 = 28,751.43 TFL / 1,700 TFL sustained = 17 days

Sek the supercomputer linpack benchmarks are of 1'700 TFL or 1.7 PETAFLOP per SECOND not per day.

So I think here lies the problem. WCG is measured in TERAFLOP/DAY the supercomputer performance is in TERAFLOP/SECOND.

If we talk about the same TERAFLOP definition and that is One Thousand Billion Floating Point calculations, then the question is the timeframe. The supercomputer is measured PER SECOND.
For WCG I suppose we measure PER DAY. So in a day you have 86'400 seconds. We have to take this into account.

Just to be very precise, we use the term MEGAFLOPS and TERAFLOPS not allways rightly. It is MEGAFLOP and TERAFLOP. MEGAFLOPS is a shortening for MEGAFLOP/second and same for TERAFLOPS.

So when we say a 400 TERAFLOP machine. This means the machine can do 400 TERAFLOP. But this means nothing about its effective computing power. How long does it take to reach 400 TERAFLOP, a day? 30 years?. A 400 TERAFLOPS machine means 400 TERAFLOP/second capable which is a precise capability.

The fastest supercomputer in the world can crunch in a day 146'880 PETAFLOP if he can work in a sustained mode.

I think the error lies in the 700'000 points = 1 TFLOP. It is a relation of points to TFLOP. This is probably very wrong. We should completely review this.

As an example my Boinc benchmark gives a total rounded of 144 GFLOP/sec on my i7 980X at 4Ghz. I have 11 of them that makes an aggregate 1'584 GFLOP/sec or rounded 1.6 TFLOP/sec. This means in a day if I generate 600kpoints then the ratio would be
1.6 TFLOP/sec X 86400 sec = 135'360 TFLOP = 600'000 points

The ratio is then 1 TFLOP = 4.4 WCG points

This is probably a much more realistic estimate.

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Hypernova at May 31, 2010 11:42:08 AM]
[May 31, 2010 9:32:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 269   Pages: 27   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread