Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 30
Posts: 30   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 25926 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Running out of new work April 26th?

We have some batches beyond nh. Not running out of work just yet :)

We have built on our servers up to batch NJ714.

-Uplinger
[Apr 26, 2010 2:20:18 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

-Uplinger

Huh, last minute upgrade. laughing

Good to know that the project is going on (for another 18-20 days). On the other hand, it would be a sign of respect to share with the crunchers some info about the type of work being done... confused

Regards,
Martin
----------------------------------------

[Apr 26, 2010 2:51:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

-Uplinger

Huh, last minute upgrade. laughing

Good to know that the project is going on (for another 18-20 days). On the other hand, it would be a sign of respect to share with the crunchers some info about the type of work being done... confused

Regards,
Martin

I was wondering the same thing, since the last post from Patrick Winters said they don't have anything planned after NH.
[Apr 26, 2010 5:22:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello,
I see there's been some worry. We've been stalling starting any large experiments in anticipation of our next big initiative. I've been developing more work units as necessary, folding Candidatus Desulforudis audaxviator (an interesting bacterium).

From Wikipedia:
it has survived for millions of years on chemical food sources that derive from the radioactive decay of minerals in the surrounding rock, making it one of the few organisms known that does not depend on sunlight for nourishment and the only species known to be alone in its ecosystem

The current plan, to keep you all informed, is to annotate proteins from the Human Microbiome Project. Compiling the protein sets for this data is proving to be extremely complicated. With such a huge number of sequence reads, we want to make sure we target proteins that are truly novel for the WCG. This is going to be a major undertaking and may result in some new publicity from IBM. With that in mind I don't want to give too much away, but I can assure you we will roll it out with plenty of information.

We have a huge backlog of work here at the lab preparing our manuscript, but things are looking very good. We may continue to produce work units on an "as needed" basis until we can finalize things for the microbiome project. I'll try to keep you all informed.
--
Patrick
[Apr 26, 2010 5:53:49 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Thanks for that Patrick.

Was there word on the beta tested 6.17 version? Think there are quite a few that want to give this research a set-and-forget access on there science selection list, but if 40% or more for some goes belly up, it's not satisfying, regardless of the WCG policies on giving credit for errored out work.

Thanks.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Apr 26, 2010 6:33:23 PM]
[Apr 26, 2010 6:06:31 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

Hi Patrick,

thanks a lot for the info - this sounds great. So no more threat of running out of WUs. smile

Regards,
Martin

[Apr 26, 2010 6:31:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rilian
Veteran Cruncher
Ukraine - we rule!
Project Badges:

Patrick, thanks for update!

Very interesting bacterium, that may lead to understanding of life appearing on Earth!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rilian at Apr 26, 2010 7:01:34 PM]
[Apr 26, 2010 7:01:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Bacteria like Desulforudis audaxviator are great because they perform all sorts of metabolic reactions that we don't normally see in model organisms. Things in this category are under investigation for breaking down toxic waste, producing biofuels, etc. We'll continue to fold proteomes that have either direct interest to us or general benefit to the community, but with the microbiome project we'll be able to re-focus on human health. You have many more bacterial cells on and in you than you are composed of yourself. They have wide ranging health effects, and it will be incredibly interesting to annotate the protein space.

I can't say much for the beta Rosetta version IBM has been working on. They are all incredibly hard working and intelligent people; so I would bet that they've isolated the problem. As a computer programmer, I can understand the difficulty, but when you realize that the WCG has compiled Rosetta to run an so many architectures and environments it feels impossible. Rosetta is a complicated piece of software that has grown organically over the years. Hats off to IBM for coming up with a beta fix.
[Apr 26, 2010 7:29:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Thanks for that Patrick.

Was there word on the beta tested 6.17 version? Think there are quite a few that want to give this research a set-and-forget access on there science selection list, but if 40% or more for some goes belly up, it's not satisfying, regardless of the WCG policies on giving credit for errored out work.

Thanks.

Sek, the slow part of the link was me on the beta test. The results on the beta test were not 100% complete so I was waiting on that before sending them the results. They recently have received the results and I have asked them to evaluate them and let us know if the results look good. We need to give them time to evaluate the results to make sure everything science wise is still good.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Apr 27, 2010 2:31:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

We have some batches beyond nh. Not running out of work just yet :)

-Uplinger

We are flying through the batches, reaching NJ714 mid next week. So what's next? Give us food! biggrin

Regards,
Martin

[May 12, 2010 10:19:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 30   Pages: 3   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread