Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 56
Posts: 56   Pages: 6   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4685 times and has 55 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Other Unix distributions that work?

I've set Ubuntu 10.04.1 64bit up in vm ware player 3.1.2 build-131458 my whole system is a I7 980X win7 ult 64bit & has 12gb ram set vm to use 8gb. installed boinc 6.10.17 from packet manager when it gets a cep2 task it crashes. Here is some of the log file.

Tue 05 Oct 2010 11:01:44 PM PDT World Community Grid Message from server: Resent lost result E200420_312_A.23.C17H10N2OS3.178.0.set1d06_1
Tue 05 Oct 2010 11:01:44 PM PDT World Community Grid [error] App version has unsupported platform i686-pc-linux-gnu

I gather I'm getting this error because I do not have 32 bit libreys installed. Can someone please guide me through how to fix this problem?

Hi,

Nothing to do with the libraries, which you less complex can get via the Synaptic Update Manager (soon permanently replaced by the 10.04 included Ubuntu Software Center). Your client is presently only set to ask for 64bit work. With this FAQ http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,28642 it's explained how to teach BOINC to also ask for 32 bit work, which is all what WCG has.

Whoa and hold your horses a minute.

How come, on Ubuntu and now Debian, I have never seen this problem? All I have ever used was 64 bit. The only install of boinc that is from a distro repo is running on Ubuntu 9.04. The rest are all installed in my /home folder from Boinc downloads for 64 bit.

I admit to being easily befuddled but this has me really fuddled.
[Oct 7, 2010 11:58:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kateiacy
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Try installing ia32-libs with

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
----------------------------------------

[Oct 8, 2010 1:52:44 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Thanks for your help serkbo. I have 2 more questions. 1 Under VMware Player 3.1.2 build-301548 I can set the time to be correct but I'm having trouble setting the date dose this effect wcg tasks? if yes can I be guided on how do fix this. I'm located in New Zealand in Blenheim. 2nd How do i attach my Ubumtu client to account manager bam?

[Oct 8, 2010 5:27:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Speedy51,

Not sure if you had the app version problem fixed, but guess you have on that machine.

Time/date is not important long as close and mostly used for determining if your certificate is still valid.

How set time/date under VMware I've no idea. Just set your own. BOINC will compute the task deadlines from your present and add on 10 days for the regular jobs for most sciences ran for WCG.

WCG is special with BAM. First attach WCG directly top the client. Then go over to BAM and make sure that the box is ticked on WCG to always attach to new clients. Only then go to the tools or advanced menu of BOINC Manager and select the attach to account manager.

I've noticed in 6.10.58 that the option in the tools menu is now called "Attach to project or account manager". When you select that a second screen appears asking which of the 2 you want to do. The correct BAM url should be offered. At any rate their url is http://bam.boincstats.com/. Presuming you already have a BAM account enter the member name and password. The recommendation is to set both the same as what u use at the projects else the automated managing does not work.

--Serkbo SekeRob

PS,

slade52, Linux 64 bit is Linux 64 bit, be it Debian or Ubuntu (latter being what Speedy51 reports to use. The error without that cc_config.xml option line is the same generic or Debian... faking it and identifying your Linux distro is something WCG knows. Has worked so far for 100% of all who had that error.

One comment needs to be made v.v. this error. Some had it and some did not after installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Strangely uplinger (WCG tech) reported to first have had it and then it to have gone away without making any change. Were it me I'd add the line default in the install package. The sequence is to first ask for 64 bit work, then if that's not offered, get 32 bit jobs, if they're there (so I understand the order of operation). That is of course, few are dead set to only want to do 64 bit compiled work on their 64 bit platform and the funniest now being that the later 32 bit clients installed on a 64 bit platform just as happy handle 64 bit science apps... you know the client is just a manager and has no speed impact on the executing of the projects.

correct me if I'm wrong... learning something new every day, till I die.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Oct 8, 2010 6:54:08 AM]
[Oct 8, 2010 6:51:25 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks, I was just wondering why I had never seen this problem. Interesting.

While it is true that 64 bit is 64 bit in all Linux there are differences in the kernel from distro to distro. Ubuntu, for instance, makes a lot more custom patches than Debian does. I really do not keep up on the RH branch distros that much.

In Ubuntu 10.04 it could have been some of those patches causing the error and an update/upgrade may have been the cause of it going away. They worked the kernel over pretty intensely on that one.

10.04-testing was fun. 3 or 4 kernel upgrades a week many times on the same version. Fixed it so well that it will not run on my hardware well at all. Over a minute to boot and will not shut down in under 3 minutes, if at all (usually have to Alt+SysRq+b to get out). Thus Debian.
[Oct 8, 2010 4:30:39 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Yes, Debian is the mother of Ubuntu. Concur on the booting... sloooooooow out, less slow in. Got it pretty stable up to when one starts using eye-candy stuff such as Cairo Dock in OpenGL mode. Again had a dead freeze on mouse and keyboard, but the good thing is, even then BOINC keeps on running and running, so then I check in remotely.

The Alt-SysReq-b I did not know yet... will try next time (which is likely soon).
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sekerob at Oct 8, 2010 4:42:52 PM]
[Oct 8, 2010 4:41:44 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I feel pretty bad about having to switch from Ubuntu but I really do not like where they seem to be headed.

Adding Plymouth to a LTS is just really stupid. Could have waited until 10.10.

Removing Aptitude and now Synaptic (11.04) is removing tools that people use. One of the devs wanted a list of features in Synaptic that real users would actually want to use.

Gee, I do not know. PCLOS has a script so that they can run Synaptic as package manager with RPMs. Kubuntu users are installing it left and right so they have a real package manager. None of them are, it appears, real users.

What they want is to attract MS users by making a crappy knock off of Win JerryLewis Pro (or what ever is in use now). They seem to think that MS users are to retarded to learn a few new things.

Even Mint, which has always tried to make the MS/Linux switch as easy as possible has put out a Debian based version. No Plymouth as "it is not stable enough for release" as they put it.

So what Ubuntu has is a pretty boot up graphic on the hardware that will use it provided by a crappy boot manager that is able to write the error logs for booting. The lack of error logs, of coarse, proves that it works perfectly. This is what is in charge of shutting you down too. Great idea.

Fedora has dropped it and they started the stupid fad.

Sorry for the rant but I feel that I owe Ubuntu a lot for my entry into the Linux world but I just can't support an OS that makes bad choices and then tries to stifle objections on the testing forum.

Boinc runs great on Debian, to get back to the thread, LinuxQuestions is a great forum with a Debian sub forum full of helpful long term users, the OS is rock solid.
[Oct 9, 2010 1:25:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

Hi I've got a interesting issue with ubuntu 1.04.1 in vmplayer version 3.1.2 build-301548, I can't access the internet through ub but I can in windows 7. I installed all updates for ub through update manager. Internet was working fine then all of a sudden it has stooped. Under vmplayer network adapter is NAT tried changing has made no difference

Ipconfig read out from Windows

C:\Users\Jarod>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::153:bbb7:bfdf:430%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet1:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c8d0:a148:bde2:27ba%20
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter VMware Network Adapter VMnet8:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::68c9:806:4e2d:cce0%21
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.81.1
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.{1F5F34AC-A36A-44D3-A766-C7CEF27A5648}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{BEB4A41F-A565-4F6D-A9C8-10DBCCAE4620}:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A6DDB708-E842-4A25-9990-8138FA419EE5}:

Ifconfig read out from ubuntu
jarod@ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:140 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:140 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:11072 (11.0 KB) TX bytes:11072 (11.0 KB)

Please let me know if more details are needed.

One way to fix would be to set up a new vm but if I do that I'll loose some ccw & HFCC tasks

Key
vm= VMware Player & ub= Ubumtu

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Speedy51 at Oct 15, 2010 11:16:52 PM]
[Oct 15, 2010 10:51:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
X-Files 27
Senior Cruncher
Canada
Project Badges:

You are not getting an ip address in you ubuntu box (inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0) - this is just loopback ip.

check network if its connected (green)

Also check if NAT and DHCP are enabled virtual network editor

[Oct 15, 2010 11:44:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Speedy51
Veteran Cruncher
New Zealand
Project Badges:

check network if its connected yes it's showing green. How do i check if DHCP are enabled virtual network editor? I'm assuming NAT is enabled already as in vm setting beside network adapter it says NAT I'm very new to linux in general. Thanks for your help

[Oct 16, 2010 1:32:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 56   Pages: 6   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread