Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 54
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24516 times and has 53 replies Next Thread
RaymondFO
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Tasks are not checkpointing properly

Sekerob,

Its not so much as new users, it is also "older" users whose computers for some unknown reason just decide to consistently produce these types of results.

Under the System Monitor Resources tab, what would cause a the CPU usage for computer one core to go from 100% then down to 32%, then proceed to go up to 46%,56%,86%, and then back up to 100%? The "While processor usage is less than" setting in BOINC is set to 0% (no restriction), and the computer is not being actively engaged. Please note CEP2 is not being crunched and multiple and different WU's are being processed while this occurs.

Replacing the hard drive and installing Unbuntu 10.4 LTS 64bit version had similar results with CEP2 efficiency issues, and the processor utilization description noted above.

Any ideas or suggestions?
[Oct 9, 2010 2:25:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Looking at the daily Hours per job averages, something may have happened in Linuxsphere on October 3/4, but what? The Result logs are quite specific in that there are no continuous restarts from a checkpoint, rather specifically CPU time is not being passed, but why is this hitting one and not the other? Quorums show both Result logs identical, one with an extraneous short time, the other with normal time i.e. the results compute correctly.

100% score here on:
- Lucid Lynx 10.04.1 64 bit LTS (kernel 2.6.32.25)
- BOINC 6.10.58 sourced from GetDeb ppa, 64 bit.
- No hyperthreading (not able).
- Q6600, stock
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Oct 11, 2010 10:43:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I just want to add that I'm getting similar problems as posted in this thread. I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, with BOINC version 6.10.58. When I press "Pause" then "Resume" the progress goes down to almost the beginning. I have checked the "Leave Applications in Memory" box, and this problem goes away for me (at least, for the time being).
[Oct 18, 2010 6:32:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

When LAIM is selected, as per recommendation, footnote 4 of the System Requirements page, then it should be longer than "for the time being". I've as yet not seen suspend retreats when that option is active except only when extraneous system loads cause timeout/heartbeat issue and the tasks are restarted!
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Oct 18, 2010 9:28:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread