Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 124
Posts: 124   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 84560 times and has 123 replies Next Thread
Dagon
Cruncher
Poland
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: New Project Setting

Hello All,

I'd have a question. Would it be possible to limit the number of CEP WUs crunched at one time? When crunching 2-3 CEP WUs + 2 or 1 other WUs everything goes smoothly on my quad. When crunching 4 in one time, the tasks very often restart...
That is very iritating...

I tried to set up maximum number of cores in the settings but it doesn't work. Opting for more projects doesn't help because the WUs are downloaded in bunches of 4-6. Holding the WUs is not always possible, as the CPU is workning sometimes some time without my direct control.
Is there any way to solve it?

Go to Device Manager, select the profile you wish to change, scroll down till you find "Project Specific Settings" and choose the number you like. Then save :D

Hi,

Unfortunately it is not so easy.
That option says only how many WUs can be downloaded to my computer. So for example if I set it as 3 and have through the whole weekend no intrnet communication, I can process only 3 WUs. If I choose more, they will be downloaded in a group, so it is not a solution.

Of cours I can opt into CEP, extend slightly the period for downloading the WUs, download 2-3, opt out, download other projects, opt in, download 2-3 projects etc, but that is not very comfortable way...
----------------------------------------

[Nov 1, 2012 12:57:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

The option is CEP2 specific only. If you have a 4 core PC and put that option so it chooses to run 2 CEP2 Wu's it will download 2 CEP2 wu's plus 2 other projects WU's you have selected.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Falconet at Nov 1, 2012 2:15:29 PM]
[Nov 1, 2012 1:51:32 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Dagon
Cruncher
Poland
Project Badges:

Hmm, I think you do not follow my issue.

That is not the point to limit the number of downloaded units - I know I can do that.
Firstly, even after finished computing it blocs the project till next reporting session and secondly I need sometimes to turn off internet connenction for 1-2 days while the computer is still crunching. Limiting of downloaded WUs is not a solution.

I ask if there is any way to limit number of CEP2 WUs processed at the same time to reduce the number of problems and errors occuring.
Those problems makes crunching less effective what is irritating :)

[Nov 1, 2012 3:02:03 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
astrolabe.
Senior Cruncher

I ask if there is any way to limit number of CEP2 WUs processed at the same time to reduce the number of problems and errors occuring
There is no way to do what you want except for manually downloading extra WU. You actually answered your own question. That is the way the option works.
[Nov 1, 2012 3:06:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I ask if there is any way to limit number of CEP2 WUs processed at the same time to reduce the number of problems and errors occuring.

Well there is, but it will take some babysitting. If you have more than one CEP2 WU in your queue and you want to make sure you only run one at a time, simply suspend all of the CEP2 WU's except one. After that one finishes unsuspend the next one and so forth. One of the downsides of this method is BOINC will not report any done WU's on its own until either there are no more suspended WU's or you force an update. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Nov 1, 2012 3:20:11 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Server 700 has ways to instruct a client to report a type of task immediately [something for techs to check if they have not already], which then opens the door to fetch a new task of CEP2 [send by highest priority over any other project]. Then it's a question of setting the cache low [e.g. 0.01 on a client 6, or 0.0 on a client 7 **] and set the number of CEP2 tasks in the device profile to the maximum allowed concurrent [previously proposed in this thread], but in the advanced schema plus 1, 3 was the maximum without errors, so 4 once running full flow. Mix this with 1 or more other WCG projects... avoid setting the "if there is no work..." as that's a backdoor to slip anything across, including CEP2.

The procedure to kick this off:

1) Fetch 3 CEP2 and babysit, so they wont start simultaneous [critical]. If checkpoints logging is set, manually start the next after 1st checkpoint has been recorded, till 3 are running.
2) Fetch a 4th task of any other science.
3) Once running on all cores, set the allowed CEP2 to 4, so when next time work is fetched, it will be a CEP2 task ready in queue.

What is theorized to happen is when the first CEP2 finishes, there's technically still 4 on the system as maximum, 1 ready to report and 3 running. The 4th slot is used by any other science. Then when the client is ready to report and fetch new work [a combined action], a CEP2 task will be ordered first, by said feeder priority.

Little trial and error, but most of the time I have never more than the desired number running on an octo, and if it's less, it's less. The maximum concurrent is controlled and no babysitting is needed. Most importantly, no crashed tasks or running too many at poor efficiency. Then when I see less than the max running, but one or more sitting at end of buffer, start them manually... forced ahead of queue. Not optimal, but best I will do and getting a 100% valid score.

** The client 7 buffering is designed to pre-fetch a task several minutes before a job finishes when the buffer is set to 0.0.

Once upon a time there were some volunteer coders who had the chops and implemented a method so the private build client would not run more than X of a science_app concurrently [for such reasons as overload and heat protection as some run really hot or really inefficient when more than X concurrent]. Don't know what became of it... purposely forgotten maybe, but with ever more cores in systems in home sytems deserving renewed attention. Similarly there are private builds which have a DCF per science_app... don't wanna know why this cannot be adopted by the developers [considering I've seen it mention on the alpha mail list i.e. no secret].
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Nov 1, 2012 4:09:56 PM]
[Nov 1, 2012 4:02:55 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Yarensc
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

**I have not tried this**

You could try running two clients on the same machine, each on a different profile, one of which uses 2 or 3 cores and only runs CEP2 and the other runs whichever other project(s) on the other 1 or 2 cores. There is a flag in the 'options' section of the cc_config file for this which says <allow_multiple_clients>0|1</allow_multiple_clients>
source: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Client_configuration
[Nov 4, 2012 12:37:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I've recently re-started crunching for WCG. Downloaded a CEP2 workunit. Let it run for several hours. No stopping work, restarts, no nothing, no pauses even (but LAIM is checked). BOINC manager is showing 45 minutes elapsed and some 3 % done. Is that normal?
Result Name: E218945_ 874_ I.50.C39H20N4O6S.00321626.4.set1d06_ 1--
<core_client_version>7.2.33</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
aborted by user
</message>
<stderr_txt>
INFO: No state to restore. Start from the beginning.
[12:05:32] Number of jobs = 16
[12:05:32] Starting job 0,CPU time has been restored to 0.000000.
[12:12:49] Finished Job #0
[12:12:49] Starting job 1,CPU time has been restored to 401.953125.
[12:31:38] Finished Job #1
[12:31:38] Starting job 2,CPU time has been restored to 1450.468750.
16:25:20 (4480): No heartbeat from core client for 30 sec - exiting
No heartbeat: Exiting
[16:25:26] Number of jobs = 16
[16:25:26] Starting job 2,CPU time has been restored to 1450.468750.
Abort requested: Exiting

</stderr_txt>
]]>

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jan 22, 2014 3:53:28 PM]
[Jan 22, 2014 3:52:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

What are you machine specs and OS ? How many other things are you doing on your computer at the same time as the WU is running ?
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Jan 22, 2014 11:27:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

CEP2 is now allowed to run for 18 hours rather than just 12 hours, so if the estimated speed is moderately off, you could get these values. Let it run.

Lawrence
[Jan 22, 2014 11:52:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 124   Pages: 13   [ Previous Page | 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread