Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 41
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7850 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
Coleslaw
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Windows 8 developer preview: when and where to download

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/windows-8-...en-and-where-to-download/

Edit: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/

System Requirements

Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch

I'm downloading now and will put it in a virtual machine for testing.
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Coleslaw at Sep 14, 2011 12:14:18 AM]
[Sep 13, 2011 11:53:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Hypernova
Master Cruncher
Audaces Fortuna Juvat ! Vaud - Switzerland
Project Badges:
Re: Windows 8 developer preview: when and where to download

Frankly Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit is a good and stable system. XP was excellent too in terms of performance, and Vista a disaster.
Instead of jumping to Windows 8 I would insist that they continue improving W7 and add new features, improve the speed. I was so disappointed with Vista that now that I have an OS which is fine enough I am resisting the risk of a change.

[Sep 14, 2011 12:23:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

the way history has gone for Windows it is every other os that is good. So therefore I will be staying with w7 for quit some time. Vista was a mess but xp was ok...
[Sep 14, 2011 2:56:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Vester
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I was running Linux Mint 11 until I downloaded Windows Developer Preview. I like it so far.
I usually do an advanced installation of BOINC, but that was required with Windows Developer Preview. BOINC will not install in the normal manner. I haven't tried the WCG client yet.

[Sep 14, 2011 2:57:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Vester
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

OK, I uninstalled BOINC and installed the WCG client. It will only install as Service using the Advanced installation. Here is the error message when trying a "normal" installation: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/failedmsg.jpg/

[Sep 14, 2011 3:16:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I plan on "upgrading" my secondary PC to windows 8 this weekend. I figure I'll live dangerously and see if I can actually upgrade the current Win7 install. We'll see what happens then.
[Sep 14, 2011 7:43:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

OK, I uninstalled BOINC and installed the WCG client. It will only install as Service using the Advanced installation. Here is the error message when trying a "normal" installation: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/failedmsg.jpg/

That's an error that in past showed when installing on domain controllers. Using 5.10.45 worked around that issue as it does not try to create these limited right accounts to run the BOINC service in. How ready is that W8?
[Sep 14, 2011 8:35:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Vester
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I haven't found any bugs in W8, but I've been running it less than 24 hours. I'm finishing my queue of jobs in Mint 11 before running W8 continuously.
W8 requires users to do some "click around" learning. One can have a typical desktop, but can use the Windows key to go back to an application display that reminds me of my HTC ThunderBolt display. W8 is definitely designed to work on touchscreens. I am running the 32 bit version and it is not a memory hog like Vista and W7. One funny thing is that after booting, I get a pretty desktop with the time and day. It took a bit to figure out that I needed to press ESC to get to the log on screen. I use my MSDN password to log on and it reminds me of Chrome OS in that regard. I'm still looking for Run and Command Console. smile

[Sep 15, 2011 5:28:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikey
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

That's an error that in past showed when installing on domain controllers. Using 5.10.45 worked around that issue as it does not try to create these limited right accounts to run the BOINC service in. How ready is that W8?

I had the same error message but since I did a 32bit installtion over an existing working Win7 install and I DID retain my user info I found the Boincmgr.exe file and Boinc runs fine. I have to manually restart it when the pc reboots though as I have not found the startup folder yet. The Preview is a limited version of Win8 and is definately more for tablets and touch screens than the mouse. The mouse works just fine but a touch screen would be MUCH BETTER! Do NOT think of this as something you can use and then undo though, it takes a while to write all the stuff to your hard drive and is much better suited to a spare drive or even better a spare machine!

[Sep 15, 2011 1:09:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mikey
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

It took a bit to figure out that I needed to press ESC to get to the log on screen.

I'm still looking for Run and Command Console. smile

I had not found the ESC/Windows key sequence but like it...THANKS!!

If you press the Windows key and the R key at the same time a run box comes up, just like in previous version of Windows. If you do it from Windows Explorer screen it just pops up, if you do it from the screen with date and apps the Windows Explorer screen pops up along with the run box.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by mikey159b at Sep 16, 2011 1:03:03 PM]
[Sep 16, 2011 1:01:22 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread