Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 352
Posts: 352   Pages: 36   [ Previous Page | 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 228823 times and has 351 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: Server Errors.

Time to consider lowering our standards of expectations of WCG? In a thought experiment I did for about 48hrs, guess what came out? This: not good but not bad either. Once I restored my expectation level to 'normal', this came out: what a mess!
;
[Aug 14, 2012 4:01:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
widdershins
Veteran Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Or just do as I do, increase your work stack by a day or two, allow connection to the internet at any time, and let boinc take care of the uploads/downloads in its own good time. It's less stressful than sitting watching the uploads getting knocked back and retrying a dozen times.

A watched kettle never boils. biggrin
[Aug 14, 2012 7:10:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

True if your machines are online all the time and run on wi-fi
My PC monopolises my USB-modem.
With irregular intervals I close much of what have going on that PC
and move the stick to my laptop which is on 24/7 entirely for crunching
to upload its finished WUs.
When you have met the failure of the way shipping and receiving works for the time being
quite a few times, it begins to get a bit annoying.
Now I have closed my laptop,
because I don't need the frustration of not being able to communicate when I want +/- .....
I'll watch the development in fixing the problem.

[Aug 14, 2012 7:38:33 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

yes I have no luck.....

finnally went along after all day. and continuously trying once the tech said it was repaired.....

....funny, I canniot recollect a tech saying it ha been repaired! cool
[Aug 14, 2012 7:53:40 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

yes I have no luck.....

finnally went along after all day. and continuously trying once the tech said it was repaired.....

....funny, I canniot recollect a tech saying it ha been repaired! cool

just "should" :-)

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewpostinthread?post=387769

Cheers and NI!
----------------------------------------

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Aug 14, 2012 8:15:56 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shanen
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I don't really mind the server errors, but it kind of bugs me when the work unit is tossed, no credit is given, and it isn't my fault. I'd really be curious to know what percentage of WCG is getting wasted...
[Aug 14, 2012 8:22:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I don't really mind the server errors, but it kind of bugs me when the work unit is tossed, no credit is given, and it isn't my fault. I'd really be curious to know what percentage of WCG is getting wasted...
How/why is anything wasted? confused

Though the times the servers are unresponsive has increased since end of last week, each and every WU crunch on all my hosts has been uploaded and reported so far. And I haven't run out of work on any of them either.

It just might take a bit longer until it does and things certainly don't run as smooth as they used to right now, but I seriously see how anything is "wasted" here... thinking

Ralf

[Aug 14, 2012 8:29:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

"should be returning to normal."

It does not say "should have returned to normal", the wording used by uplinger rather indicates that this is still "work in progress"...

Ralf

[Aug 14, 2012 8:35:57 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ralf, we all do this in each our manner.
I described mine ^^^^ up there
and if the servers don't ship and receive when I connect,
my WUs are eventually wasted.
And it frustrates me.

[Aug 14, 2012 8:39:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alver
Senior Cruncher
Project Badges:

Time to consider lowering our standards of expectations of WCG?

Certainly a shame, given the stature of company who I thought ran the back-end of this project. Hoping this all gets sorted out soon - I'm running out of WUs, and not leaving machines running on empty for long.

(previously known as 'proxima' on SETI, UD, distributed folding, FaD, and Rosetta)
[Aug 14, 2012 8:58:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 352   Pages: 36   [ Previous Page | 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread