Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 17
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20376 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
rootman77
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
CEP2 on multiple computers?

Hi everybody,
I am running BOINC client on two different machines (both WinXP Pro - just to mention), only one capable of CEP2 hardware requirements.
Is there some automatic selection of tasks per hardware or how can I manually prevent the "weaker" machine from acccepting CEP2 tasks?
Thanks a lot,
rootman
[Jul 15, 2013 1:26:10 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:
Re: CEP2 on multiple computers?

Create separate Device Profiles for each machine here http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/viewProfiles.do and set different projects under each of them.

Cheers peace
----------------------------------------

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Edit 1 times, last edit by branjo at Jul 15, 2013 1:46:24 PM]
[Jul 15, 2013 1:45:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

smile
Branjo is almost right. Use My Grid - Device Manager to give each computer a different profile (Home, Work, School) then set
Project Specific Settings
Number of workunits per host for
The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2?
to 0 on the profile that should not run CEP2. Do not be fooled by Projects, which are only shown on your profile for your information. They are set by the My Grid - Projects command and do not change for each different profile.

Hope I make sense. Sometimes my explanations are confuding.

Lawrence

Added: angel This won't work. Fortunately SekeRob posted the trick that does the job. clown
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 15, 2013 4:52:01 PM]
[Jul 15, 2013 1:59:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rootman77
Cruncher

Hi *,
thanks a lot. I tried it with two different profiles.
Tomorrow I can tell whether it worked. :-)
rootman
[Jul 15, 2013 2:14:08 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There's a secondary trick, in case the backdoor "If there is no work for... send me something else", meaning anything is selected in the device profiles, to make sure the client wont idle when the favorite project(s) has/have no work: Set the permitted memory use/idle both lower than the CEP2 requirement... think WCG checks for 750MB free before sending a CEP2 task [though the system requirement page specs 1GB]. No other WCG science comes even close to that value.

[OT] 'Confuding' is probably a contraction of 2 other words... an Archie Bunkerism... could it be confusing and refuting?
[Jul 15, 2013 2:29:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

smile
Branjo is almost right. Use My Grid - Device Manager to give each computer a different profile (Home, Work, School) then set
Project Specific Settings
Number of workunits per host for
The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2?
to 0
on the profile that should not run CEP2. Do not be fooled by Projects, which are only shown on your profile for your information. They are set by the My Grid - Projects command and do not change for each different profile.

Hope I make sense. Sometimes my explanations are confuding.

Lawrence

I can't set it to 0 - the minimal (also Default) value is 1 confused

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Jul 15, 2013 2:34:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi branjo,
Oops! I can't set it to 0 either. So what is the answer? I do not think that Projects can differ from profile to profile. SekeRob's trick is the correct way to do this.

Lawrence
[Jul 15, 2013 4:49:40 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
captainjack
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

In the device profile, under available projects, deselect (uncheck the check box) by the CEP2 project; and deselect "if no tasks available". That will keep you from getting any CEP2 tasks.
[Jul 15, 2013 6:04:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

In the device profile, under available projects, deselect (uncheck the check box) by the CEP2 project; and deselect "if no tasks available". That will keep you from getting any CEP2 tasks.

This is exactly what I wanted to avoid with my memory limit control... still get other work, but not CEP2.
[Jul 15, 2013 6:10:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KWSN - A Shrubbery
Master Cruncher

As an opt-in project it should never be allowed to send results simply on the "if not tasks available" option.

I understand that it does indeed do this and have deselected receiving other tasks simply because my network cannot handle multiple devices attempting to upload CEP work. In my view, it is a bug in the distribution although the techs probably view it differently. Maybe adding a "0" option to number of tasks would be a better way to work this for those who are less computer literate than setting a maximum memory.

Distributed computing volunteer since September 27, 2000
[Jul 16, 2013 2:34:41 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread