Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 43
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21243 times and has 42 replies Next Thread
SekeRob
Master Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
When you have download-hangs on stat_v03.png and wcg_v01.png or other .png files [RESOLVED 18.Feb.2016]

Ripped idea warning: A member noted he'd gotten around the problem by manually downloading these pesky files that hang in download [FOR MANY], irrespective the latest client version installed or not., then stops receiving any new work:

What you do: Copy/paste the 2 below links into your web-browser

https://grid.worldcommunitygrid.org/boinc/download/slideshow/stat_v03.png

https://grid.worldcommunitygrid.org/boinc/download/slideshow/wcg_v01.png

(Note there's an underscore between stat/wcg and v03.png/v01.png)

Each time, at least in Firefox, select the shown image and right click on them, then pick 'Save image as'. Save them in a spot you can remember :D)

Next, delete [Abort Transfer] the 2 downloads from the transfer tab in the client advanced view then immediately set the network to suspended with Activity Menu > Suspend Network Activity.

Stop the client with File > Shutdown the connected client. [Confirm in task manager, show all user processes, that BOINC is truly not running anymore].

Copy the 2 files from the place you remembered to the BOINC project folder of WCG, i.e.

C:\ProgramData\BOINC\projects\www.worldcommunitygrid.org

This BOINC data directory folder can be hidden, so navigate there by typing the address in explorer or any other location you set up the BOINC data directory [path printed at start of client in Event log [Ctrl+Shft+E keys]

Boot or manually start the client again. If user level install start the BOINC Manager, which should launch the client. In service install, launch the services.msc app in the start bar run box and right-click BOINC, then select start (there's more ways but these are mine ;>).

Go to the BOINC Manager Activity menu and set the networking to what you had it before, network activity always or network activity according preferences.

Done.

This applies for any slideshow .png file and many other 'fixed'/one time download files for the project... same method applies.

Feel free to add additional methods to stop/start the client.

Added March 26, 2016: A client that skips stuck images is discussed here https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewpostinthread?post=516956 . Version 7.6.29 [Candidate public release] and up have the permanent solution.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 7 times, last edit by SekeRob* at Mar 26, 2016 8:40:59 AM]
[Dec 15, 2015 5:09:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ravenigma
Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: When you have download hangs on stat_v03.png and wcg_v01.png

I'm having this problem on an Android host. Any idea how to get around it?

[Dec 19, 2015 3:03:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

Unless you 'root' your device, you wont be able to get access to the BOINC data directory on Android. How to do that, you'd have to open a new thread in the Android forum [supposedly it starts with a wipe of your device].

BTW, think there's a way for clients to look at the 'home' directories instead of a polluted cloud [suspected by moi]. Somewhere there's a post by knreed to add some addresses to the hosts file (?) to achieve this [for problem testing purposes]. This wont though work on non-rooted Androids I'm guessing.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SekeRob* at Dec 19, 2015 3:59:58 PM]
[Dec 19, 2015 3:54:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

This post it was: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewpostinthread?post=337211

Tested this by replacing the /grid. part with /download. and sure enough, got redirected to the addresses in the OP. Someone who has the problem may test this [of course this is not endorsed, but then as WCG chooses to not get involved...]
[Dec 19, 2015 4:08:17 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It worked for me - thanks a lot. Cruisin and Crunching WGC again
[Dec 20, 2015 1:39:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
ledav.net
Cruncher
Project Badges:

It didn't worked for me... However, by changing the url in the files:

client_state_prev.xml
client_state.xml
sched_reply_www.worldcommunitygrid.org.xml

With the ones listed above, it worked !

Just to let you know... :-)
[Jan 18, 2016 10:21:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Eric_Kaiser
Veteran Cruncher
Germany (Hessen)
Project Badges:

Had the same problem on one of my androids (the one whis isn't rooted).
I've just cancelled these two hanging downloads. A couple of refreshs later new wu were downloaded.

[Jan 19, 2016 2:10:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Rickjb
Veteran Cruncher
Australia
Project Badges:

It's now 11 Feb 2016, and WCG has still not fixed this problem! (I'm experiencing it on Windows.)
How many would-be crunchers have not been able to get FAH2 to work and have pulled the plug on FAH2 and perhaps all of WCG as well?
I've had thoughts of joining the march.

And BOINC is still as brain-dead as ever when it comes to stuck downloads.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rickjb at Feb 11, 2016 7:52:31 AM]
[Feb 11, 2016 7:51:24 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gebraset
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I just wanted to note that this fixed my issue! I set up WCG on a new install of Windows 7 Pro, and it would just download one task, finish it, and then sit back for days while it waited to download various .png and .gif files. Amazingly aggravating since I searched the Internet for a host of solutions (disabling antivirus, enabling inbound and outbound rules within the software-based firewall, doing a full reinstall of BOINC, deleting registry values for the program, etc.) that never solved the problem. In the end, your solution is what finally allowed BOINC to download new tasks and begin crunching away once again. So, thank you kindly for posting your fix to the community.

I will note that even after I downloaded all of the images (some 10-15) and placed them within the proper folder, BOINC was still trying to download them within the transfers tab, even though I ended up getting new tasks finally. I had to go to the folder, delete all of the 0KB images that were there, and go through the process of downloading and transferring the files in once more. After I did that, I pressed the retry button, and all of the transfers disappeared. smile May have just been a program error that caused me to repeat the steps twice over, but I thought that I would mention it for others that may run into the same problem.
[Feb 15, 2016 2:39:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
deltavee
Ace Cruncher
Texas Hill Country
Project Badges:

Sekerob,
Your fix works perfectly! However, over 99% of members won't bother to do this and will just stop crunching. Hopefully the Sunday network update will fix this problem.

[Feb 18, 2016 2:23:56 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread