Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 5
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3021 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
OldChap
Veteran Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
What does WCG need most $$$ or Results?

This question resulted from a discussion about what would you do if you won the lottery smile

Essentially I found that it ought to be possible, for an investment of ~£2M to create a long term income of ~10% of that sum per annum. less a few maintenance costs.

This could fund and run an awfully large number of cores and thus produce results on a par or in excess of those of IBM

or

I might fund the wages of a few researchers or otherwise important WCG types.

Incidentally, this idea does not scale well.

Thoughts anyone?
----------------------------------------

[Jul 8, 2017 1:54:02 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: What does WCG need most $$$ or Results?

Way ahead of you already ;) many of these with the 18 core CPU's, circa 55k each, 20 ought to do nicely

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configurator/4u-ra...supermicro-f618r2-rt-plus
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Jul 10, 2017 12:38:33 PM]
[Jul 10, 2017 12:36:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Paul Schlaffer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

What is needed most is additional volunteers. Maybe provide some advertising, which would hopefully return greater results than just more gear. But yes, I've also dreamed of a server room.

“Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.” – James Madison (1792)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Paul Schlaffer at Jul 12, 2017 2:08:57 AM]
[Jul 12, 2017 2:07:14 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Seoulpowergrid
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

Make a deal with WCG to hire someone for a year to do tons of the lil tweaks members have asked for for years.

Give ~100k to active projects in need of funding (all of them?) as more staffing would help speed things up.

Work with WCG to do an advertising campaign to get more ppl involved.

Core...tons of cores.

Yeah, I've thought about this too often.

[Jul 12, 2017 2:59:45 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
dcs1955
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

New members are not required, current members need to start contributing again. Last time I checked over 93% of the current members have not made even monthly contributions to the result count.

[Jul 12, 2017 6:56:24 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread