Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 117
Posts: 117   Pages: 12   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 47232 times and has 116 replies Next Thread
Magiceye04
Cruncher
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
sigificant credit drop - only for me or did someone else see this?

Hi!
at the moment i only crunch Microbiome workunits.
Until 2017-10-11 i got around 9000credits per day on my Ryzen1700 (15 threads running in parallel @Ubuntu17.04). At 2017-10-12 it was cold in my home, so I increased the clock speed from 3200 to 3500 MHz. But the credits were lower from that day on. Only around 6000cr/d.
I thought there might something be wrong with the overclocking (but i got no errors), so i decided to set the CPU back to stock settings yesterday.
But now i am around 4500 cr/d.

So the question is: did someone else see this credit drop some days ago?
Then this would be the normal behaviour ot the project, otherwise i need to check my PC, but its perfectly cooled and powered and running stable at all.

Best Regards
Magiceye

clickme
----------------------------------------
[Edit 7 times, last edit by magiceye04 at Oct 17, 2017 9:22:08 PM]
[Oct 17, 2017 9:09:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Re: sigificant credit drop - only for me or did someone else see this?

The only observation I can make is the change in duration of the MIP units. They had started in the 4 to 5 hour range, then dropped to the one hour range and now back to the 3 to 3.5 hour range. I don't know if others have experienced this, but I have seen more points per hour on the shorter units than on the longer units. So, on my systems at least, if the units have gotten longer, my points earned would have decreased. I will do some further checking to see if I can statistically validate this theory.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 17, 2017 9:26:50 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KerSamson
Master Cruncher
Switzerland
Project Badges:

Hi magiceye64,
I reported continuous and recurrent performance problems with MIP1 since the project launch; see https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewpostinthread?post=548472 and following.
My last assumption is that running simultaneously more than 2 threads could have a significant negative impact on the system performance. Please take my assumption carefully, since it is only an assumption.
Yves
[Oct 17, 2017 11:20:33 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sphospital
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Yes.
I have seen a 16 thread AMD Ryzen drop to 40% of original output, when all or most threads are on MIP1 jobs. Removed MIP1 project and results went back up to normal.
I can backup Yves and your observations.

[edit]
All CPUs on this PC would still run at 100% on all threads with MIP1 jobs but temperature would drop dramatically to just a few clicks over idle. The tasks would run for over 5 hours. (longer than a Core Duo)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sphospital at Oct 18, 2017 12:21:51 AM]
[Oct 18, 2017 12:13:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

OK, I think my theory was wrong. Here is a spreadsheet showing average time per work unit and the the points (both WCG and Boinc) per hour of time. I am not seeing a correlation between length of the work unit and the average points granted. In fact the points granted per unit of time appear to have gotten a little bit better lately.

Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sgt.Joe at Oct 18, 2017 3:10:51 AM]
[Oct 18, 2017 3:10:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rod4x4
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Hi Sgt.Joe
I see what you are trying to do with this spreadsheet, but it does not adequately isolate whether the figures returned were from hosts doing a mix of projects, or dedicated to MIP1.
If this spreadsheet could isolate those hosts, it would reflect a marked drop in credit for CPU cycle for all hosts or at least a subset of host configurations that are affected.
I have withdrawn from MIP1 (temporarily until fixed, this is a great project to support) and observed an immediate jump in CPU temperatures (safe figures, indicating the CPU is actually working) and credit has also jumped dramatically.
[Oct 18, 2017 11:50:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I see what you are trying to do with this spreadsheet, but it does not adequately isolate whether the figures returned were from hosts doing a mix of projects, or dedicated to MIP1. If this spreadsheet could isolate those hosts, it would reflect a marked drop in credit for CPU cycle for all hosts or at least a subset of host configurations that are affected.

Yes, I agree, but I have no way getting those figures. I had thought I maybe had a simple solution, but that is not the case.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 18, 2017 1:23:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

Suppose your CPU has 8 threads, but that CPU has only 4 FPU's and all 8 MIP jobs want to suck at that one particular FPU function. What do you get, and how does one fix this?
[Oct 18, 2017 2:04:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Magiceye04
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I can also see, that the run time of the WUs is increased.
So instead of 250 WUs per day its now less than 100.
I don't complain about the credits itself* - i just wanted to know if my PC has a problem, which seems not to be existing. Thank you for confirming.

*its funny, that my Odroid C2 with 4 ARM-cores@1,5GHz (5W) gets more credits with universe@home than the Ryzen with Microbiome (110W) - but this are completely different projects.
[Oct 18, 2017 7:17:51 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Suppose your CPU has 8 threads, but that CPU has only 4 FPU's and all 8 MIP jobs want to suck at that one particular FPU function. What do you get, and how does one fix this?

What you get is a bottleneck which will slow down things a bit. You used to be able to get a separate FPU in the days of the 386/486, but I don't think they are available anymore. So, I guess you can't fix it. At least I don't know how.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Oct 18, 2017 7:28:15 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 117   Pages: 12   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread