Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1745 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
B2I
Senior Cruncher
usa
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
best way to upgrade the BOINC client

I have a few machines that fail the update process every time. I get various errors but usually its someing like "... the program you are trying to access in on a network drive..." The only way I can get reloaded is to use revo uninstaller set to it's most rigorous search and clean mode, and then I usually have to search the registry for antything BOINC or Space Systems related and manually remove. I sometimes brick my OS and have to repair it.

My question: 1) what am i doing wrong 2) why can't Boinc be designed to clean up after itself well enough that a complete and clean uninstall and reinstall be accomplished.
----------------------------------------

[Oct 22, 2017 12:02:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
B2I
Senior Cruncher
usa
Project Badges:
Re: best way to upgrade the BOINC client

OK, I read this link from beginning to end and see that this is possibly a windows problem not a BOINC problem.

https://boinc.mundayweb.com/wiki/index.php?ti...t_find_the_required_files

[Oct 22, 2017 6:33:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alged
Master Cruncher
FRANCE
Project Badges:

Just a question(may be a silly one):i usually crunch on WCG with the latest version of Boinc client for Mac (at mom version 7.8.3)
do i need to pass on 7.8.4 since it is for High Sierra OS?
at mom i use El Capitan 10.11.6

[Nov 19, 2017 8:30:49 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SekeRob
Master Cruncher

OK, I read this link from beginning to end and see that this is possibly a windows problem not a BOINC problem.

https://boinc.mundayweb.com/wiki/index.php?ti...t_find_the_required_files

In past a failed upgrade/downgrade would require to locate/re-download the version you had, then run that to uninstall BOINC, after which the new version could be installed. Unfortunately, now it seems a failed upgrade with that message, often requires to manually clean the registry (there's installed program cleaners for that). You can still leave the BOINC data dir and make sure during the new install to point the installer at the location (advanced options), to not lose any work in progress, stats histories etc.

Properly, an upgrade just automatically uninstalls the old version, needing access to the old msi file, then installs the new version. The pointer to that msi file is either lost, or the file was removed. Advise: Never remove any msi files from the OS installer directory!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SekeRob* at Nov 19, 2017 9:47:55 AM]
[Nov 19, 2017 9:42:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread