Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 171
Posts: 171   Pages: 18   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 73799 times and has 170 replies Next Thread
widdershins
Veteran Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Invalid GPU work units

I've had a few units where one or two others have received the same unit and they've been marked as invalid whilst mine has turned valid. Looking at their logs there's nothing jumping out as to why. Some had newer BOINC versions, some were newer and more powerful NVIDIA cards and some older or similar vintage as my Titan card.

I'm thinking something like overclocking or bad memory would show as an error, but can't think what would cause the invalid. Anyone have any suggestions what might cause these to turn invalid (as opposed to error) and then have my machine sent a copy to process?

Not concerned for myself as the more invalids others have, the more GPU resends there are for me to snag. biggrin But it'd perhaps help others to not waste GPU power if the reason was known.
[Apr 14, 2021 4:16:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
alanb1951
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:
Re: Invalid GPU work units

As it happens, it has already been discussed in the Work Unit Availability thread; Uplinger replied about it here and if you track back a few posts you'll see some of the other reports...

There are also folks reporting errors in other threads (including the one in the GPU Support Forum) but the above is the only place I've seen an explanation so far...

Cheers - Al.
[Apr 14, 2021 4:37:41 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

Good afternoon,

Yes, there seems to be a group of ligands that cause the calculations to be incorrect which is actually scientifically valid. I am in discussions with the researchers to see what they would like for us to do in handling these types of results. The end goal would be to allow for these to be marked as valid but the researchers would be able to easily tell it was a valid failed test.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Apr 14, 2021 5:10:58 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Project Badges:

Sorry, just read your post again. I missed the point that you said others were invalid but yours was valid. There are some graphic cards that produce bad results and fail validation. As to why these cards are not processing things well, I do not have a specific answer to that. I can speculate, but without access to a card causing the issues, it is an unknown to me.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Apr 14, 2021 5:15:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
maeax
Advanced Cruncher
Project Badges:

Three invalid one successful and one Server aborted (for me)
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/...s.do?workunitId=619758428
----------------------------------------
AMD Ryzen 2700 / AMD Radeon (TM) Pro WX7100. OS Win10pro
[Edit 1 times, last edit by maeax at Apr 14, 2021 5:42:01 PM]
[Apr 14, 2021 5:41:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Andrew80431
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Sorry, just read your post again. I missed the point that you said others were invalid but yours was valid. There are some graphic cards that produce bad results and fail validation. As to why these cards are not processing things well, I do not have a specific answer to that. I can speculate, but without access to a card causing the issues, it is an unknown to me.

Thanks,
-Uplinger

I had 4 invalid WUs on my card today. (I noticed for the first time ever since the beta had started.)
The first two came out wrong on all machines who did the WU.

OPNG_0002425_00177
OPNG_0002337_00077
OPNG_0002337_00282
OPNG_0002337_00291

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Andrew80431 at Apr 21, 2021 6:43:52 AM]
[Apr 14, 2021 6:14:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
widdershins
Veteran Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Thanks,
-Uplinger

I was all set to accept that it may be individual cards with issues, except... I recently got a WU on the same card where my result was the invalid and two others then turned valid. the WU is OPNG_0002357_00237

That would suggest that it's not individual bad cards but some instability in the application which is varying the results. Which then begs the question, if a few results are inaccurate enough to be classed as invalid are there others that are passing validation that are less accurate than they could/should be?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by widdershins at Apr 14, 2021 6:40:32 PM]
[Apr 14, 2021 6:38:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
uplinger
Project Badges:

The researchers have identified an issue with some of the work units that were generated. I am working to prevent these from sending out additional copies to the volunteers. This causes an issue on both OPNG and OPN1.

I will post more in a bit, working on cleanup at the moment.

Thanks,
-Uplinger
[Apr 14, 2021 8:58:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Grumpy Swede
Master Cruncher
Svíþjóð
Project Badges:

Well, there are examples obviously of not all results of a WU turning invalid. Some becoming valid, and som invalid. Strange creatures these problematic WU's

Here's one that I just crunched. My result is valid, so is another one, but one so far is invalid:
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/device/...s.do?workunitId=620029462

Edit: It became 3 valid, and one invalid. Extremely short runtime, and therefore very low credit.

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Grumpy Swede at Apr 14, 2021 9:45:27 PM]
[Apr 14, 2021 9:39:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nanoprobe
Master Cruncher
Classified
Project Badges:

Keith I have all sorts of tasks marked invalid on all 4 machines. If you need to look at ones that have 4 or 5 copies with none valid or 1 valid I have them and I can post the log if needed.
In 1969 I took an oath to defend and protect the U S Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and Domestic. There was no expiration date.

[Apr 14, 2021 10:24:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 171   Pages: 18   [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread