Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 203
Posts: 203   Pages: 21   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 95773 times and has 202 replies Next Thread
craigcoker@comcast.net
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Re: March 20, 2023 Hardware Recovery Update

I have four computers set up for WCG. All four are saying "Waiting to contact project servers". Is this due to the hardware failure or should I log out/log back in to WCG on each computer to get them talking to WCG servers again?
[Mar 23, 2023 2:48:37 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I have four computers set up for WCG. All four are saying "Waiting to contact project servers". Is this due to the hardware failure or should I log out/log back in to WCG on each computer to get them talking to WCG servers again?

Ok, what part of "the BOINC part of WCG still isn't up" exactly is it that you do not understand? confused

Ralf
----------------------------------------

[Mar 23, 2023 2:50:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Ok, what part of "the BOINC part of WCG still isn't up" exactly is it that you do not understand? confused

Ralf
Be gentle Ralf - it looks like Craig is a new(ish) member here, and hasn't had a whole lot of experience seeing WCG working at 'full tilt' (as the 'longer in the tooth' members have seen when it had IBM's resources behind it).

So, yes Craig - it's all down to the BOINC servers not currently running - due to the hardware issues Krembil are working on.

P.S.., I'd personally recommend changing your 'handle name', to one that doesn't actually include your e-mail address, as there are 'bots' constantly trawling the Internet, looking for e-mail addresses that they can harvest in order to spam you.

[Mar 23, 2023 3:16:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Mad Max, in reply to your statement
Or may be it is easier to let these "stuck" WUs die and then calculate the tasks again when the server sends the failed tasks to other clients after normalizing the work. Yes, this will be the loss of computation already made... But who cares? WCG in its current state anyway has more client side computing capacity than it can handle properly.
, it's quite simple - Krembil release NEW WU's for the first few days, allowing all the completed work to be returned. Due to the length of the outage, there won't be any "late" WU's, just those that have been lost i.e., "No reply" (machine crashed etc.), so there shouldn't be that many resends needed.

[Mar 23, 2023 3:23:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sptrog1
Veteran Cruncher
Project Badges:

As requested by Grumpy, here goes:
"I have concluded from web information that you are the new owners of The World Community Grid (WCG). I would therefore urge you to take an interest in this significant tool that you possess. Not only because I believe it is essential to the continuation of Dr Jurisca’s research but also that this massive computer capability fits your mission to Invent and Deliver Tomorrow's Care and to strive to deliver a healthier world.
I understand from your releases to the public that you already know the capabilities of WCG. However, I might point out some of the limitations of parallel processing. It can perform the same calculation in parallel on a massive database as multiple “If – Then” calculations. However, the multiple resultant “Thens” cannot be returned as new “Ifs” to the system without being returned to the researcher for evaluation. For instance, it can calculate the structure of all the known genes in all the different organisms within the GI track, but the resultant “Thens” (structures) must be returned to the researcher. This is valuable if one believes that when you know the structure of each gene, you can determine its product. Knowing that, you might evaluate the effect of the genome on diseases such as diabetes and ulcerative colitis.
Because of the nature of the grid and the voluntary nature of when the calculations are performed, the information is not available in real time (like batch processing in accounting). Thus, for instance WCG cannot be used in real time weather predictions.
It might help to know my opinion of the nature of the group of people donating time to WCG. They seem to be relatively intelligent people who are interested in computers and what computers can do. They have chosen WCG for the wide variety of interesting projects offered. I believe that, at least subliminally, they are aware that sitting in front of their computers and watching them crunch on a project is not actually doing science but contributing to it. I believe that as a group they would want to continue to contribute to WCG to support their interest. I think that what they would value most, in return for their support, is communication.
Therefore, I would urge you to take ownership of your new acquisition, to understand and to throw your weight behind it with emphasis and to recognize the need for WCG within your mission.
You could divert some talent within your organization to help Dr Jurisca draw up a business plan to support WCG as an entity including “communication” such as workload statistics and updates from the researchers.
You could work with your foundation to ease fiscal contributions to support WCG.
You could publicize WCG within your organization and among your contacts. It is a very interesting concept.
I do not believe that these moves would be cost prohibitive in an era of tight budgets.
I would ask you to check with Dr Jurisca as to the accuracy of these statements."
[Mar 23, 2023 7:09:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
adriverhoef
Master Cruncher
The Netherlands
Project Badges:

Minor — if you can call it that — detail: the name is Jurisica.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by adriverhoef at Mar 23, 2023 10:37:27 AM]
[Mar 23, 2023 10:32:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
MarkH
Cruncher
United States of America
Project Badges:

Probably pointless and rhetorical at this stage, but why didn't Krembil take over sponsorship and contract with IBM to operate and maintain the original setup? Seems at least short-term it could have worked to everyone's advantage while a longer-term migration plan was put together. It appears from the outside that Krembil tried to do too much with too little while re-engineering the hardware and software systems to run WCG with far less than IBM's skillset.
"That science of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
[Mar 23, 2023 3:52:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Be gentle Ralf - it looks like Craig is a new(ish) member here, and hasn't had a whole lot of experience seeing WCG working at 'full tilt' (as the 'longer in the tooth' members have seen when it had IBM's resources behind it).
Sorry, but one just needs to use common sense, and even in previous posts, particular the first one of this very thread, is has been stated that the whole system is down due to hardware reasons for weeks. Yet, some people keep posting the same question, if there is a problem on their side, that they can fix, over and over again.

The answers are out there, you just have to read them....

Ralf sad

[Edit 1 times, last edit by TPCBF at Mar 23, 2023 3:54:07 PM]
[Mar 23, 2023 3:53:42 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
TPCBF
Master Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

it's quite simple - Krembil release NEW WU's for the first few days, allowing all the completed work to be returned.
Well, that's one of the NOT SO SIMPLE points in this whole issue.
According to Dr. Jurisica, "Krembil", despite relentlessly plastering their name/logo all over the place, is actually not involved with WCG at all...

Ralf

[Mar 23, 2023 3:57:06 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
narf57
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Back to the original topic....

My system just uploaded all its pending WUs. Still getting Server Error feeder not running error when trying to update the project.
So, at least some progress has been made.
[Mar 23, 2023 5:21:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Posts: 203   Pages: 21   [ Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page ]
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread