Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 10
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1075 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
New CPU throttle "fix" overrides laptops in battery mode...

I just noticed this today... I wanted my CPU to run at 100% instead of the newly throttled 60%. So I ran the little utility and set the CPU usage to 100% on all my rigs. 2 of these computers are laptops, and both are often used on battery power. I noticed that while I was just web browsing, the laptop was hot and the fan was blowing hot air. Checked the little icon, it shows agent paused to conserve power.

However, checking in CPU-Z, my CPU (Pentium M) was running at a full 1.73GHz instead of the stepped down 800MHz that it should be when on batteries. In Task Manager, usage was 100% on wcg_hpf2_rosetta.exe. Exiting WCG resolved this issue of course.

I know that this was not occuring before I ran the utility to bump my CPU back up to 100%. When I unplugged, the agent really did pause and no CPU usage from WCG and it's projects.

Will there be a fix on this issue? I'd hate to use only 60% of my CPU when I know full well that I can run 100% on both these laptops. But then again, I do not want to quickly drain my battery everytime I unplug it and forget to exit WCG.

If this helps at all, both laptops are Pentium Ms. One is on an 855 chipset and the other is on a 915 chipset. Both are showing the same issue.

TIA
[Jun 28, 2006 9:07:13 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: New CPU throttle "fix" overrides laptops in battery mode...

hmmm, in BOINC its an explicit option to make it pause when on battery, in UD agent there is no option....its hardcoded to back off when on Battery. Does this also occur when running FAAH (if you run that). My most recent experience on a laptop with the manual environment variable set to 95%, it would pause (FAAH/HPF1), thus it might me HPF2 related.

The difference between the util and the manual environment var Wcgrid_Max_CPU is, that it sets some registry key, not an environment var, so the CPU might be differently instructed, possibly, the HPF2 reading the registry and the Agent reading the env.var??????? No idea which of the 2 gets preferential treatment when its being read

PS when you run the util and put it to e.g. 80% or the default 60%, does it continue to run on battery at that %?
----------------------------------------
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Sekerob at Jun 28, 2006 9:55:07 PM]
[Jun 28, 2006 9:45:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Alther
Former World Community Grid Tech
United States of America
Project Badges:

While I believe you had something happen, I highly doubt it's the throttle code. The throttle code that's there now is what has been there since HPF1. The only difference is where we read the setting from and it's new default value.

UD manages the science application. When you go to battery, UD instructs the science app to shut down. If it does not shut down within 10 seconds, UD terminates the app. So, as you can see, we couldn't run while you're on battery even if we wanted to or even if we were in an infinite lopp.

That doesn't mean you don't have a problem. Maybe Windows isn't detecting you have gone to battery. I don't know. Are you able to reproduce this?
Rick Alther
Former World Community Grid Developer
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Alther at Jun 29, 2006 3:40:00 AM]
[Jun 29, 2006 3:39:34 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It's not the first report we've seen of UD failing to stop the science application. Usually it's linked to the screensaver, though.

It doesn't happen frequently (last was a couple of months back), or we'd've gathered enough information by now to identify the problem.

Want me to hunt down the previous reports?
[Jun 29, 2006 3:51:35 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well I just switched the laptop on and was going to try changing the CPU usage to 80%... but it did not run on battery. Guess it was just a glitch!
[Jun 29, 2006 4:35:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It's always the transient glitches that are hardest to fix. Mix that in with some thread-wrangling, and it's a recipe for long nights with the debugger.

If it happens again, please try and describe the exact circumstances. For example, was it hibernated, or was the screen saver running when you switched to batteries?

While it's a rare bug, it's fairly severe.
[Jun 29, 2006 4:42:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I'll try and replicate it. What I do know was that WCG was running, I put the PC into standby while it was still on AC power. Unplugged it and went out to lunch. Got to a local coffee shop and powered on, now on batteries, hooked up to the local hotspot and it was still running then...
[Jun 29, 2006 3:57:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Replicated. This is exactly what I do:

1) Laptop is plugged in and crunching away. I go to the Start menu and put the laptop into Standby mode.

2) Get to my local hotspot and awake the computer from Standby mode.

3) The UD agent shows agent as paused. However, I have 100% usage at full multiplier. hpf2_wcg_rosetta.exe (sp? Going from memory...) is pumping and is using CPU time (not just idle)

4) Shut down UD agent from systray icon and all is well. If I restart the UD agent, then it works like it should... no WU crunching, just paused.

Hope that helps.
[Jun 29, 2006 7:57:46 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

This is almost certainly a bug in UD, and WCG won't be able to provide a quick fix.

The workaround (obviously!) is to disconnect while the laptop is fully on, or to shut it down fully.

I'll pass this on, so that WCG can check they're not at fault, and hopefully push UD for a fix.
[Jun 29, 2006 8:23:01 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Sounds good. Thanks for the update. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed in the future. Might be good to add this little bug as a note for the laptop users.
[Jun 29, 2006 8:28:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread