Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 47
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22711 times and has 46 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Spread the word

Anyone has any ideas on how we can get more people to participate (so hopefully we can finish projects quicker)?
[Dec 2, 2004 2:58:36 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:
Re: Spread the word

Tkassis

Start a team get a bit of competition going that always boosts CPU time.
Create a team web page the folk using search engines are more likely to come across this project if there are more websites out there with links to WCG on them.
Become a WCG bore tell all your friends tell your family.
Try convince your employer that as part of your companies ethical policy they should of course be contributing their server farm and each employee's desktop pc to the cause.
Spend all your pocket money on building extra crunching PC's
Think do I spend my hard earned cash on a faster Graphics card or do I sacrifice my 3dmark score for the fastest processor my motherboard will allow.
Dig out that tired old laptop you have in a cupboard somewhere every little helps (subliminal plug for Tesco- other supermarkets are available to part you from your hard earned cash)
Get one of those quieter heatsink fans so you can get some sleep while your PC works all night
Remember its cheaper to build 10 Athlon 2500+ PC's than 1 Athlon 64 4000+ machine.
Try finding out just how fast your processor will go reliably (N.B. You do so at your own risk anything written here can not be construed as me giving you permission to do this. I cannot be held responsible for the conseqences of overclocking your machine - you do so at your own risk - but a faster running processor will get through more work units in the same length of time)
In my opinion this is the best value motherboard for your money a7n8x-vm you only need that old hard drive you have lying around a stick of memory pinched from your current PC (you don't need 512MB anyway) an Athlon 2500+ Barton and in a few hours we'd be closer to the finishing line (btw other motherboards from other manufacturers are available)
Convince your partner that building a PC for your Kids is a good idea.
Suggest that you have one of those media center edition PC's for your living room - that X-box/PS2 is so out of date.

Beware Crunching is addictive - there's obviously no hope for me

Dave
----------------------------------------

[Edit 8 times, last edit by David Autumns at Dec 2, 2004 7:56:36 PM]
[Dec 2, 2004 5:36:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Just a simple point

If everyone involved in WCG just encouraged one other person to join in the project it would only be a matter of time before every spare PC on the planet had WCG running in the background crunching through data to help mankind.

A nice thought

Dave

[Dec 5, 2004 3:52:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
cool Re: Spread the word

I read an article in the Economist last night that mentioned the World Community Grid (without a URL). I think that once the site is ready for prime time, running smoothly with good FAQs for the uninitiated, there will be no problem getting publicity articles in the media. Then we will see some explosive growth. The problem is that word of mouth can work both ways, so we want to be ready to handle things smoothly.
[Dec 5, 2004 4:26:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
smile Spread the word

I read an article in the Economist last night that mentioned the World Community Grid (without a URL). I think that once the site is ready for prime time, running smoothly with good FAQs for the uninitiated, there will be no problem getting publicity articles in the media. Then we will see some explosive growth. The problem is that word of mouth can work both ways, so we want to be ready to handle things smoothly.

HI ALL
I SO agree!
And lawrencehardin and David Autumns plus others
saw the need to respond and came through for the
Bigger team (The WCG!) by spending Hours and hours
reading and posting links and explaining this and defending that!
You helped keep Quite a few going and This is as good a
place to say thanks as any so far so..
Thank you all who come here to help others in this
fine World Community effort! You can take some credit for the
PCs that are still crunching because of you!
[Dec 6, 2004 8:27:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

blushing

[Dec 6, 2004 8:40:53 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
David Autumns
Ace Cruncher
UK
Project Badges:

Just thought I would bump this post to see if our newer members have any idea's to add to this thread.

Regards

Dave

[Jan 9, 2005 8:28:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Post about WCG on other forums. This is where the Tribalwar.com team is from.
[Jan 9, 2005 10:47:05 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Post about WCG on other forums. This is where the Tribalwar.com team is from.
[Jan 9, 2005 10:47:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You can also put a link on your personal/team web site or put a page on your persoanl web site with your statistics - people may get interested and join up.
[Jan 10, 2005 9:24:43 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread