Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12968 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Ranking projects for better control of work received

Hi all:

Could you make a change in the next version, so that we could rank or prioritize the projects, to get work for just the ones we want?

Example:

1. Beta Testing 100%
2. Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2 90%
3. Influenza Antiviral Drug Search 80%
4. Help Fight Childhood Cancer 70%
5. The Clean Energy Project 60%
6. Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together 50%
7. Nutritious Rice for the World 40%
8. Help Conquer Cancer 30%
9. FightAIDS@Home 20%
10. Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2 10%

This way work would be assigned as follows:

1. Beta Testing - if none than
2. Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy - Phase 2 - if none than
3. Influenza Antiviral Drug Search - if none than
4. Help Fight Childhood Cancer - if none than
5. The Clean Energy Project - if none than
6. Discovering Dengue Drugs - Together - if none than
7. Nutritious Rice for the World - if none than
8. Help Conquer Cancer - if none than
9. FightAIDS@Home - if none than
10. Human Proteome Folding - Phase 2

Instead of how it is now:

Beta Testing or
Influenza Antiviral Drug Search - if none than
Any other project

BOINC currently allows you to do this by setting Resource Share

-- Thanks all

Mark Reiss
[May 30, 2009 5:51:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Ranking projects for better control of work received

Hello Mark Reiss,
This has been asked for before. Implementing it would be a WCG-specific development project since no other group runs multiple projects on the same server. Our programming manpower is tied up on other projects. If we changed our scheduler this much, we would have to spend a lot of time reprogramming changes that BOINC made in the generic scheduler. I suppose I should say - more time than we do now. We already have a heavily customized scheduler.

WCG will do whatever it thinks will work best, but my personal guess is that it will only prioritize individual member's projects as part of a BOINC-wide development project rather than as a WCG-pecific development project.

Lawrence
[May 30, 2009 6:39:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Ingleside
Veteran Cruncher
Norway
Project Badges:

Hello Mark Reiss,
This has been asked for before. Implementing it would be a WCG-specific development project since no other group runs multiple projects on the same server.

Hmm, Primegrid with atleast 8 currently active, CPDN with 5, Yoyo with 4 and the list goes on. But granted, the most common is 2 sub-projects, like SETI@home, Einstein@home, Rosetta@home, SIMAP and so on has, there the current implementation works adequately.

WCG needing to do the changes on the other hand is likely, since none of the other projects has any free time either.

As for WCG running "heavily customized", I'm not aware of what this should be, appart for the standard customization of the ini-files and daemon-startup-parameters all BOINC-projects does...
----------------------------------------

"I make so many mistakes. But then just think of all the mistakes I don't make, although I might."
[May 31, 2009 11:09:29 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Ingleside, WCG don't publish details of their customisations anywhere. From time to time the techs may offer you a glimpse, but that is the most you will get.

On the other hand, as responsible open source developers, they contribute back to BOINC any useful scheduler enhancements, such as the homogeneous redundancy feature.

As for the project ranking request: this is our most frequent FAQ where the answer is "not going to happen".
[May 31, 2009 12:02:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It's sad that the response seems to be it's not going to happen, because as more and more projects seem to be coming into WCG it seems like prioritizing is becoming more and more of a reasonable and desired request. WCG does take a little extra electricity to run and therefore is like donating to a charity, and people should be able to chose which charity gets the most of their money.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at May 31, 2009 11:59:13 PM]
[May 31, 2009 11:58:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

You can choose which projects you want to run. If you have lots of computers, you can weight projects by using different profiles.

But weighting in the scheduler would conflict with the other scheduler goals, and make an already difficult balancing act ridiculously difficult. It would also cause additional problems when members inevitably claim that their weightings are not being respected.

I shouldn't say this will never happen, but there are no plans for it, and it is not on any todo list.
[Jun 1, 2009 2:03:32 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

yes i understand it isnt likely to happen but since a person asked for what we think are our rankings

personaly right now the order i want is

1) beta (it alreay gets #1 anyways)
2) HCMD2 (silver) <- badge hunt
3) IADS (bronze) <- badge hunt
4) AIDS (almost to 1 year now)
5) RICE ( next closest to 1 year)
6) Dingue
7) CEP
8) HFCC
9) Cancer (over a year)
10) HPF2 (over a year and not much desire to run)

personaly i want all badges then i want to get jobs over 1 year but right now im badge hunting

[Jun 1, 2009 6:49:57 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Don't think anyone was asking about his/her ranking wishes, just a (repeated) suggestion for a method to order project work requests. Since another project with multiple was brought up, went to revisit and found no prioritization there either, but they do have too "Send work from any subproject if selected projects have no work" wink

At WCG, 9 active projects, could become 11, on 4 OS platforms, some having a homogeneous redundancy split down to processor families, think it is going to cause very major scheduling and load headaches.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Jun 1, 2009 7:08:37 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
knreed
Former World Community Grid Tech
Project Badges:

On the other hand, as responsible open source developers, they contribute back to BOINC any useful scheduler enhancements, such as the homogeneous redundancy feature.

We definitely do contribute back to BOINC our useful changes* and have done so in the past. In particular, we added vastly expanded support for multiple sub-projects, the 'reliable' host mechanism and a number of other items. Grep the BOINC change logs for Kevin Reed or WCG or World Community Grid if you want more details.

However, homogeneous redundancy is a feature that was already a key part of BOINC even before we started using BOINC.

* We do have some not useful changes. These are things like expanding the shared memory size up to 3600 slots instead of the default 100. We also have a hack in place currently to avoid issues with how BOINC handles assignment of homogeneous redundancies to slots. Once we implement a better solution we will contribute that as well.

We are also about 9 months behind BOINC source currently and will hopefully be updating soon. BOINC requests that we be in sync with HEAD prior to contributing our most recent changes so we will be returning some code after that.

As to the point of this thread. There are many many things that we want to do. Some of them are things members ask for, some of them are things that make the tech teams life easier, some of them reduce our costs, some of them help the researchers, etc. This list is vastly larger then time available to implement. This is true of most things in life.

Please do not think that because we do not implement this feature it is because we are dismissing your view point. It is simply a matter of having the time to implement.
[Jun 1, 2009 8:26:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Greg Lyke
Advanced Cruncher

You can choose which projects you want to run. If you have lots of computers, you can weight projects by using different profiles.

Ok, then how about adding a few more profile slots? As it stands right now I have 6 computers doing assorted things around the house/work. Being able to set up a profile specific to each of them would allow the OCD tweaking that I want to be able to both work on the projects that I really want to & also to do some badge hunting.

But weighting in the scheduler would conflict with the other scheduler goals, and make an already difficult balancing act ridiculously difficult. It would also cause additional problems when members inevitably claim that their weightings are not being respected.

Weighted scheduling (by percent of resources sent to each project) I agree would be a nightmare to make work. However it shouldn't be that difficult to implement a priority system of some sort.

(I'm not a programmer so you'll need to translate for those who are biggrin ) When setting up a profile the person would rank the projects 1-x. Using "if then" statements the program would go to #1 (say CEP) & if there was no work available then go to #2 (HCC) & repeat the process. Etc.

It's funny, over the years I have spent a lot of time either volunteering or sitting on boards that implement volunteer labor for some project (Scouting, church groups, library boards, etc). What's really sad is that almost always, on both sides of the table, there are hurt feelings because most can't see the forest for the trees. The volunteers forget that the end result is what they are working towards & that some of the things that they want to do really don't help reach that end. The professionals on the other hand, forget that the volunteers are just that - volunteers. If the organizers make things to difficult for them, eventually they will stop complaining & just walk away instead.

Sadly I've started to see the same thing here at WCG (perhaps it has been there for a long time but I've finally started seeing the forest). Because of the incredibly long term nature of all the projects, it is hard to see any short term progress. Because of that some of the crunchers (myself included blushing ) like to fiddle/micro manage their settings so that they can actually see things relating to their input change. While the best thing may be to set up the computer once, turn it on & walk away to let it crank untouched for a few years - that's probably not going to happen.

On the tech side of things, the attitude of "we're saving the world, don't bother us" isn't going to do much towards keeping people willing to help. If it's going to take years if not decades to make progress on the problems that all this computer time is being devoted to, then spending/investing towards good will a week or two of programming time to give the volunteers shiny buttons & knobs to push & turn to their heart's content is at the very least a smart thing to do (it might even be considered an essential part of the process).

Anyway, just my 2% of a $ for the morning... wink
[Jun 2, 2009 2:52:34 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread