Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 58
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11687 times and has 57 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Help! WU Downloads failing

I have two machines which are both having trouble downloading WUs from DDDT2 in particular.

During the attempt to download the 15.9Mb file for each task, the agent will give up, sometimes with an HTTP error in the message log. Retrying the download usually means the 'progress' indicator gets to 100% but the download size goes well beyond the reported size.

I have rebooted both machines without any change.

On one machine I 'Reset Project'. This cleared the existing workload cache and set up a large number of files to download with respect to the CEP2 project. The larger files in this list also stalled during download, although that is not the case on the other machine.

Currently, the machine with the reset agent is reporting no work available and is refusing to download anything while the untouched machine is at least downloading CEP2 tasks.

For the record though, it is happily downloading and running a project other than WCG, so I don't think there is a major problem with the agent.

I have not seen any status warnings on the forum which connect to my problem other than the ones related to the reverted Linux updated which is marked as Resolved.

Is there still a problem on the WCG servers?

crying
[Mar 6, 2011 8:21:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Help! WU Downloads failing

Ethernet or WiFi connection?

Windows or Linux?

BOINC version?

Presently achieving 600-800 Kb download speed, this including the CEP2 application files which total some 200MB. These speeds achieved both on 802.11N and G, mixed environment.
[Mar 6, 2011 8:56:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

My untouched machine is a laptop running Boinc 6.10.58 on Windows 7/64/Home on a WiFi connection.

The 'reset' machine is a PC running the same agent on Windows XP Pro 64 using an ethernet connection to the same router.

I have had other machines on the same connection using the same Internet feed as well as using laptops on other WiFi connections when roaming. However I have never seen more than about 15Kbs or so download speed per file or about 100Kbs upload per result file despite having a reasonable broadband connection.

My agent settings are configured to not throttle the Internet connection on any machines and connect at any time.
[Mar 6, 2011 10:18:16 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

More than a few times the thought has crossed my mind that ISPs are throttling traffic and or putting the breaks on when particular files formats come down the pipe (zip/gz) (traffic shaping). Downloading at 15Kbps is pathetic, particularly if uploading is able to reach 100Kbps. Call your ISP and complain... WCG is not some illegal bittorrent file sharer.

--//--
[Mar 6, 2011 10:27:07 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have not noticed other non-BOINC downloads suffering in such a manner.

Currently, my PC has just woken up under protest and is now downloading some CEP2 WUs at a cumulative speed of about 93Kbs.

I will wait and see whether the next time it receives DDDT2 WUs that they download without errors before attempting to rattle the chain of the ISP beast.
[Mar 7, 2011 12:23:42 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi
Does this scene look familiar crying
[IMG]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h212/tylerchris/Capturenewtransfers.png[/IMG]
Have many pages of this.
since connectivity to the site has improved have managed to download about a days work,have had to enlarge the cache to allow the 2/20 hours they take to download.
Sorry you also have this issue but it is good to meet a kindrid spirit.
One question maybe stupid,but have you downloaded windows sevice pack 1 on your laptop in the past couple of days. WCG is a pretty odd site just wondering if something downloaded from the pack has changed a setting that only affects this site.
My internet supplier is Virgin media.
Sorry cannot get image to work do not know how to do it over here.
But hope the link does.
All the best
Chris.
[Mar 7, 2011 12:21:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Have had the SP1 beta/RC candidate on my laptop for months and ever since it says in right hand bottom corner of desktop: Windows 7, Evaluation Copy, build 7601. The SP1 has been updating with a few security fixes, February last.

Got anything else running... look in TaskManager... maybe grand theft wire.

My fav windows wifi analyzer is DMT tool, mentioned several times on the forums. Says the client got real 7.744Mb DL, 1.023Mb Up at an SNRM of 13.2, transmission at 19.6dBm, attinuation 27dB, RCO 99%. 270Mb WLAN speed. The router BIOS is latest latest.

--//--
[Mar 7, 2011 12:45:47 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi
just checked out task manager again.
Nothing untoward there only WCG and GPU grid running.
Had a look at the dmt tool loads of download sites available none mention my router and to be honest the jargen goes way, way over my head.
But have downloaded many larger files from other projects all whiz through.The problem persists only over here and only started after the crash.
I now have a working system here after spending hours Sunday night nursing the downloads through.
Obviously not ideal.
Thanks
Chris.
[Mar 7, 2011 1:10:05 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi, Chris. The screenshot looks very familiar.

One thing that piqued my curiosity is that my ISP is also Virgin Media.

As it happens, I was talking to them today about another issue and they denied traffic-shaping although they will apparently throttle the speed for 6 hours if you download more than 3Gb in a day.

The latest activity is that my laptop (the previously stable client) was in the middle of downloading a couple of DDDT2 WUs earlier today and the agent died. I tried all sorts of remedial measures including uninstalling and reinstalling the agent but nothing worked.

I could see that while the agent was there, the task manager reported the relevant CPU activity but the BOINCMGR refused to run giving a Windows error quoting the BOINCSCR module.

I have finally managed to get the agent to run properly by removing the profile-based data files in between uninstalling and reinstalling the agent. However, the download of the project base files has stalled again with the usual errors I have been getting:-

08/03/2011 01:12:31 Project communication failed: attempting access to reference site
08/03/2011 01:12:31 World Community Grid Temporarily failed download of ts01_c_g45_c441_to_c450_typeC_ts01_c449_ts01_phi_18.dat.gzb: HTTP error
08/03/2011 01:12:31 World Community Grid Backing off 1 min 0 sec on download of ts01_c_g45_c441_to_c450_typeC_ts01_c449_ts01_phi_18.dat.gzb
08/03/2011 01:12:32 Internet access OK - project servers may be temporarily down.
08/03/2011 01:12:59 Project communication failed: attempting access to reference site
08/03/2011 01:12:59 World Community Grid Temporarily failed download of wcgrid_cep2_graphics_6.40_windows_intelx86: HTTP error
08/03/2011 01:12:59 World Community Grid Backing off 1 min 0 sec on download of wcgrid_cep2_graphics_6.40_windows_intelx86

I will leave it to get going in its own time, I suppose.
[Mar 8, 2011 1:17:50 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

I was too optimistic.

The agent has bombed out and will not stay running.
[Mar 8, 2011 2:27:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread