Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 43
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 37171 times and has 42 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Is the project going faster than expected?

Hello,

I see already we reached target 13, and it has been only two weeks approx. I recall properly this project has 53 targets?

So if we go the same speed in the near future the targets will be over.

On the other hand, I think I read just at the starting of the project huge projections in terms of CPU years, like more than what has been done for FAAH.

Am I missing something? Someone can help explain?

Thanks
[Sep 15, 2011 11:02:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Is the project going faster than expected?

From an earlier post by seippel

The current number of targets is 5353 and there are 58 batches per a target (0-57). The number of work units in a batch can vary, but will likely be around 1000.

So there are plenty more targets remaining.
[Sep 15, 2011 11:36:54 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
pcwr
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

Looking at the chart, we have only done 3.5% in 2 weeks, therefore at our current rate, it will take just over a year to complete.

Patrick
----------------------------------------

[Sep 16, 2011 6:19:48 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
martin64
Senior Cruncher
Germany
Project Badges:

It's now 2+ weeks of crunching for this project, and still there is a tremendous mismatch in the statements:

Project time is expected to be 1 year, but we are doing less than one target per day, which would mean around 15 years.

I haven't seen any effort from the WCG officials to explain this discrepancy. And Sekerob, it's now 2 weeks into the project, still the same extrapolation. wink

Regards,
Martin

[Sep 16, 2011 7:17:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
rilian
Veteran Cruncher
Ukraine - we rule!
Project Badges:

in welcome thread, i have calculated expected time and it was far beyond 1 yer

of course, if we would not switch to uber-fast texas watch processors ;)
[Sep 16, 2011 8:35:53 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

It's now 2+ weeks of crunching for this project, and still there is a tremendous mismatch in the statements:

Project time is expected to be 1 year, but we are doing less than one target per day, which would mean around 15 years.

I haven't seen any effort from the WCG officials to explain this discrepancy. And Sekerob, it's now 2 weeks into the project, still the same extrapolation. wink

Regards,
Martin

Absent an official response, following your logic and a little algo of me own, got it down to 375,000 years ;>) Yes, the same whatever I explained before. We don't know the plans, how the computations will evolve and such steps as maybe ZR implementation... did we start off with the hardest/most interesting stuff such as with HCMD2? Till then it's pure speculation. We were given the 1 year so will work with that number for now.

--//--
[Sep 16, 2011 12:30:43 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
nasher
Veteran Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

The current number of targets is 5353 and there are 58 batches per a target (0-57). The number of work units in a batch can vary, but will likely be around 1000.
---

not all targets are created equal...

right now some of the targets are taking 2-3 hours and others 12+ hours so it is really hard to tell how long the next target will take...

they are guessing about 1 year with the resources we are giving them.... as the project gets >70% complete they should be able to give us a much better guess....

--- edit added ---
also remember even if the project is running fast now its cause of the badge hunters.... this will also spike up when the project nears closing...

also remember some people will jump on and off projects as they strike there fancy.... right now im pushing for my badge in cep2 so i am only running this and cep2... once i get my desired badges in both projects (or a new one shows up) i will change what i am crunching.

ALSO if some new project comes up that effects us we will dump other projects in favor of it...

if they come up with a Vertigo or thyroid cancer project all my resources are going to it till they are done... period... those are what I personally suffer from... also if a loved one comes down with some disease that is being researched somewhere i will swap all my resources that ways.

again it is hard to tell how long a project will last... the scientists seem to think 1 year and they have planed to have most the results back within 1 year so they are planing research based on that... if there is a disaster in there lab area... flood, hurricane, typhoon, it may delay them sending stuff to us or there capability to get things done for them...

so 1 year is there plan.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nasher at Sep 17, 2011 12:39:53 AM]
[Sep 17, 2011 12:17:08 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
KWSN - A Shrubbery
Master Cruncher

It's also running at a lower feeder priority right now as they work out work unit run times. Expect the pace to increase once that changes.

Right now, it's difficult to get much work unless you've selected only this project. I know it cut my tasks by about 2/3 when they lowered the priority.

Distributed computing volunteer since September 27, 2000
[Sep 17, 2011 12:58:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Doubt it will change much once the weight is regularized in the feeder, which is set to fill 100% of all 'exclusive' requests. Those at present pretty much fill the 'normal' share, literally getting none if mixing. Right now manually alternating to share with Clean Water as else it will push the DSFL aside.

CEP2/DSFL mix is a breeze, because the CEP2 fetch priority is highest... get those chosen slots filled ASAP before sending anything else [if the hopper has them in shared memory of course]. 9 out of ten me quad has the maximum number cached as set in the profile.

--//--

PS: There's always a chart to visualize: http://bit.ly/WCGYPM including table of past 12 months.
[Sep 17, 2011 7:59:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

running cep2 faah and dsfl no problem. about every fourth wu is dsfl on my i7 turbo mode
[Sep 17, 2011 10:27:20 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread