Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17024 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
gomeyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
CPU Tme vs Elapsed Time. Which is used for statistics? (Answered)

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. If so I could not find it.

The recent change to the 'time' column in Results Status raised a question for me. I realize that the difference is usually quite small, but just out of curiosity which figure is used when calculating time stats for rankings and badges; CPU Time or Elapsed Time?

Thanks in advance!
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by gomeyer at Nov 3, 2012 12:13:11 PM]
[Nov 3, 2012 2:46:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: CPU Tme vs Elapsed Time. Which is used for statistics?

CPU time
[Nov 3, 2012 2:47:47 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gomeyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Wow, fast answer. Many thanks. smile

[Nov 3, 2012 2:55:12 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gb009761
Master Cruncher
Scotland
Project Badges:

Elapsed time = wall clock time (i.e., the total time the WU took to complete, which includes the time when the CPU was processing other tasks), whilst the CPU time = the time the CPU itself took to crunch the WU.

[Nov 3, 2012 5:04:39 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Wow, fast answer. Many thanks. smile

Lucky timing wink you are welcome
[Nov 3, 2012 7:15:19 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. If so I could not find it.

The recent change to the 'time' column in Results Status raised a question for me. I realize that the difference is usually quite small, but just out of curiosity which figure is used when calculating time stats for rankings and badges; CPU Time or Elapsed Time?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is for CPU tasks. But it is significant for GPU ones - my Elapsed time is +150% vs. CPU time, i.e. for 1 calendar day it is only 9.6 hours CPU time.

I am guessing it is the price we have to pay for massive increase of points peace

Cheers and NI!

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Edit 1 times, last edit by branjo at Nov 3, 2012 9:35:00 AM]
[Nov 3, 2012 9:34:02 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

There was a reason for the change to the Result Status page presentation of the processing time, so the complete answer is as far as time recognition for statistics on My Grid:

1) CPU *only* running tasks use CPU time as statistics basis
2) GPU+CPU running tasks use Elapsed time as statistics basis

[Because GPU time keeping is not possible... something missing in their API's, still, the substitute Elapsed method is used of the time being recorded that the task was allowed to run on either CPU or GPU]. If that were throttled in some way, then the elapsed time for intentional slow down is not recorded, same as would it not be recorded if the CPU process was throttled [not the CPU Hrz, but the fraction allowed to run in a unit of time].

Some will now feel to develop an argument, bringing forth what has already been brought forward before. They will... Newtonian law so to speak.
[Nov 3, 2012 9:38:46 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
gomeyer
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Very complete (and friendly) answers. That is one of the things I have come to appreciate about WCG.

As for the GPU time keeping "problem", if indeed it is a problem, that is one of the things that raised my curiosity in the first place.

SekeRob posted -
Some will now feel to develop an argument . . .

LOL. Just one of the prices we all pay for public forums.

[Nov 3, 2012 12:11:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:

Thank you SekeRob for clarification - since I started with GPU few days ago on my new WCG rig, I did not follow info about it from the beginning.

Now I could increase number of concurrently running GPU tasks w/o sacrificing my badges hunt love struck

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Nov 3, 2012 2:08:52 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread