Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 25
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 17499 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
branjo
Master Cruncher
Slovakia
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
BOINC 7.2.28 is ready for public use

Changes include:

• New: OpenCL CPU support for Intel and AMD CPUs.
• New: Add new AMD GPU descriptions.
• New: Add new Windows version descriptions. (Windows Only)
• Fix: Various changes to CPU and GPU scheduling and work-fetch.
• Fix: Updated Translations
• Fix: Support for HTTPS urls in notices.
• Fix: for running VirtualBox VMs when installed as a service. (Windows Support, it was already support for Mac OS X and Linux).

Download
Release Notes
Version History

WCG (officially) still with 6.10.58

Cheers peace
----------------------------------------

Crunching@Home since January 13 2000. Shrubbing@Home since January 5 2006

[Nov 8, 2013 9:15:25 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: BOINC 7.2.28 is ready for public use

Yeah, they're speed bumping versions again in Berkeley. Few days ago wrote about the 'good news' of Sub-Second-Throttling coming, anticipating it would go into 7.3/7.4. Some alpha mail on the release plan revealed, the SST is going to be fast-tracked into a 7.2.xx release, which let other pieces of info fall in place [for me] i.e. a next WCG endorsed release will have that SST functionality. X-Mas falls in winter, so who knows.
[Nov 8, 2013 9:30:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SuDu2
Cruncher
Project Badges:

I did something stupid; I downloaded and tried an install of BOINC 7.2.28 in Ubuntu while a project was setting in my system. Not knowing enough about what I was doing, I ended up losing 1/2 of my communication connection and ended up with some files from a WCG project locked and setting in my file system.

When or how do I aid in the retrieval of the research? I think it is the Harvard Clean Energy Project phase 2. Do I need to contact Harvard University?

SEL crying
[Nov 18, 2013 12:01:28 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
kffitzgerald
Senior Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

Currently running 6.10.58 on an Intel I7-2500K, 8GB win2008r2 srvr... is there a recommended method of upgrading my boinc (that sounds nasty) to 7.2.28?
[Nov 18, 2013 12:36:18 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sgt.Joe
Ace Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I did something stupid; I downloaded and tried an install of BOINC 7.2.28 in Ubuntu while a project was setting in my system. Not knowing enough about what I was doing, I ended up losing 1/2 of my communication connection and ended up with some files from a WCG project locked and setting in my file system.

When or how do I aid in the retrieval of the research? I think it is the Harvard Clean Energy Project phase 2. Do I need to contact Harvard University?

SEL crying

Don't worry about the lost work units. They will just get issued to another cruncher. It is part of the redundancy built into the system. There will always be some units which have to be re-issued for a great variety of reasons. Crunch on.
Cheers
Sgt. Joe
*Minnesota Crunchers*
[Nov 18, 2013 2:11:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
SuDu2
Cruncher
Project Badges:

Thank You, I will stay on this thread. According to BOINC Manager, the install did not take, as I am still running 7.0.27.
"Newbie/newbie.
It is related to my attempting to upgrade to BOINC 7.2.28 which seems to have failed (I saw the note in "Notices" for an upgrade). I am running Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64 bit on 2nd lived (I replaced some capacitors in the MB) Gateway GT4016 AMD Athlon 3700+ single with full ram (2.9 GiB) giving WCG 10 GiB disk space, BOINC Manager 7.0.27 (upgrade didn't fully take, but I have lots of SW, libraries), but my System Monitor does not show that I have a BOINC Client running (never did)."
I don't know much about Linux (took Fortran Wat4or5 in high school, BASIC and 1 semester Structured CoBOL in college--main frames; but they aren't OS's). Don't know much about MS products either--the software uses me, mostly. I installed Ubuntu to extend useful life of an W-XPPro system (32 bit OS).
If Gateway system gets some good work in, I will probably give some time from this other PC (HP Pavilion W-7 Home Premium-AMD Phenom II Quad with full RAM.
smile
SEL
[Edit 1 times, last edit by SuDu2 at Nov 18, 2013 3:21:57 AM]
[Nov 18, 2013 3:11:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hello SuDu2,
I am still not a Linux guru, but this is still my advice: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,34622

Lawrence
[Nov 18, 2013 5:20:22 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Well I have loaded it on 3 machines......see how it goes biggrin
[Nov 18, 2013 7:32:38 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Falconet
Master Cruncher
Portugal
Project Badges:

Currently running 6.10.58 on an Intel I7-2500K, 8GB win2008r2 srvr... is there a recommended method of upgrading my boinc (that sounds nasty) to 7.2.28?

You should set WCG and any projects attached to "no new tasks", let your current work finish, report it and then you can install the new BOINC version.
If you don't finish your work first, it will be lost.

Don't think I missed anything.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF 4C/8T 3.2 GHz - 85W
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 4C/8T 2.0 GHz - 28W
Intel Z3740 4C/4T 1.8 GHz - 6W
[Nov 18, 2013 3:14:48 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sartaonline
Advanced Cruncher
USA
Project Badges:

I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.2 with no issues, it continued the units it was working on. Only notice was a line in the event log saying client upgrade.
[Nov 18, 2013 3:44:26 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread