Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 29
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 25700 times and has 28 replies Next Thread
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
confused Not getting notification emails [(kinda, sorta, almost) RESOLVED (but not really)]

Alright, first I thought maybe I had missed the email from the Beta Test Announcement forum (on the previous batch), but last night when I noticed a Beta WU on my PC and no email in my inbox, I thought I would check out if I am still "watching" that forum. Surprise or not, I am still watching the forum, yet not even this morning, as I write this post, I have not received any notification that something new was posted there.

Anyone else is having this problem?

Edit: PS: and no, the emails didn't go straight into my Spam folder either. I checked. Plus, I don't see why they would start going to my spam folder since they didn't before.
----------------------------------------
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world! - Albert Einstein

[Edit 4 times, last edit by CandymanWCG at Jan 16, 2014 1:00:47 PM]
[Dec 10, 2013 8:17:07 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Not getting notification emails

Got a general 'immediate' [no digest] watch set for the BETA announcement read only forum... nothing here either this morning.
[Dec 10, 2013 8:25:17 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Probably related to this biggrin wink wink
[Dec 10, 2013 8:31:23 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

Thanks for the quick reply, Rob! I also checked my setting and it's the same as it has always been: "System Default". I was wondering if this might be related to the recent update of the website? confused

[Dec 10, 2013 8:33:26 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

Probably related to this biggrin wink wink

That is my suspicion too, Alan. The questions that spring to mind now are:
1. is this happening for all of our "watched" forums and threads?
2. how come nobody else complained about it until now? The changes have happened a while ago.

Cheers!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by CandymanWCG at Dec 10, 2013 8:36:23 AM]
[Dec 10, 2013 8:35:36 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

Sorry, but I have to vent my frustration a bit: I am very surprised how little traction this thread has gained since I posted it. As a result, it got knocked to the second page of this forum and another similar thread was created.

I am also disappointed that we are getting less and less functionality out of these forums and more and more ignored when we provide feedback about it.

What happened to the big plans of revamping the forum platform? Am I delusional or did someone say that we should expect big things in the coming weeks/months? Or was that it? confused

Also, as an ulterior motive: bump thread! devilish

[Dec 17, 2013 8:46:00 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
jonnieb-uk
Ace Cruncher
England
Project Badges:

I agree with CandymanWCGs sentiments but I think we have to cut WCG some slack. My impression is that the techs are under pressure on three fronts:

• Unforseen technical complications with the new project
  • Underestimation of the enormous hunger for a new (cancer) project
  • The unexpected explosion in activity from Ripple

674 years RunTime yesterday when a month ago we were averaging 400 years must be causing some stress and as SekeRob commented "and the techs breaking a serious cold sweat"

To Join follow this link: Join the UK Team All Welcome! UK Team thread
[Dec 17, 2013 9:35:21 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
CandymanWCG
Senior Cruncher
Romania
Project Badges:

Fair enough, jonnieb. However, I would still like to see a comment from an actual Tech though. It's not like there aren't a couple of them around replying to some other threads.

[Dec 17, 2013 10:26:59 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Hi jonnieb-uk,
My impression is that the techs are under pressure on three fronts
The WCG staff do not talk much about their workload. Obviously they are still keeping in close contact with BOINC about GPU developments though they are not under any time pressure. But I have heard of one 'front' that you do not mention. Now that we are running on minimal Android phones and tablets, WCG needs the ability to maintain different sizes of work units for the same project and send them to the appropriate devices. This has implications for many different areas of code. One of the ways that we used to control server problems was by reducing server load by increasing the size of the work units. Obviously, we can't do that now if a project sends work to a phone.

As for forum software, I am leaving its defense to the authorities. devilish tongue I will say that I noticed right from the start in 2004 that it was based on software from Vietnam using open-source libraries from Bandung. ( biggrin or close enough) Whether the World Community Grid Forum should be based on software from a big Western corporation (*) or from elsewhere (*) is a decision fraught with immense Geo-political considerations. ( laughing )

Lawrence

(*) : Please feel free to substitute ( rose ) or ( frustrated ) for (*) according to your personal political preferences.

Added: I seem to have combined two threads in my head and written a post for both. Well, I will just add some links: https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/...ead,35941_offset,0#443566
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Dec 17, 2013 12:49:19 PM]
[Dec 17, 2013 12:28:21 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Would like to point out that I am not receiving any e-mails from WCG, either threads being watched or even from my own team. UK. These e-mails stopped about a month ago please, please, pretty please can I have the e-mails. smile
[Dec 17, 2013 1:11:45 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread